A new addition to family Zura (Forest Hingeback tortoise) :)

16rash

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
Hi All,

We adopted a 15 yrs old Male forest Hingeback tortoise on Saturday. I have Herman tortoise at home but quite new to Hingeback tortoise.

Thanks to the tortoiseforum and tortoisetrust,i have been to able to setup the indoor enclosure for him..

- Its a 2.5ft x 3ft bookshelf /bottom layer of the substrate is topsoil, top layer is mixed of peat moss and Cypress mulch. i wanted to have dried leaves rather than peat moss but could not find it :(
will move him to bigger tortoise table in few days.
- Repti fogger is running constantly .
- 10.0 UVB tube (not very bright)
- 150 W ceramic night lamp that is on all the time (temp most of the time is 80F)
- Flat tile for feeding
- Big water dish for drinking/soaking
- A hide at the corner with peat moss inside it.
- 4 tropical plants

Any feedback/advise are welcome!

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Pics of the enclosure would be very nice.
Plus pics of the tort (both of them would be nice)! Hingebacks are so cute! Heck, all torts are cute, what am I saying?! :D

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
As Sara mentioned, photos would enable us to help you more easily. In the meantime you can read the Beginners Mistake Thread and different care sheets.

And a warm welcome to the forum!

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Hi All I am a new 15 yrs old Forest hingeback owner and seeking advise on how to setup the indoor enclosure for the tortoise. if you could post the pics of your tortoise enclosure that would give me ideas or any advise on the lighting/humidity/substrate is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you meant your tortoise is 15, right? Jacqui posted a beautiful hingeback habitat a while back. I'll see if I can find it. Give me a minute.

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
thanks for sharing the post.these are some wonderful enclosure :) i am still missing few things in my tortoise enclosure..will post the pics soon for your suggestion..thanks again!

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Hi Jacqui, it is 2.5ft by 3ft tortoise table.the temp at the center of the table is 82 F which is maintained by Ceramic bulb.this bulb is on all the time 24 hours.
humidity is 80%, fogger running all the time . 3/4 of the table is closed. he has hide and plants at the other corner where temp is 70F.day time he roam near the ceramic bulb,soak for sometime in water dish but night he go inside the hide.

Only concern is he has not eaten anything since saturday.its been 5 days :( .

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That's a very small enclosure - too small

Pictures really are necessary for us to be able to help you.

It is important to soak your tort for a good 30 minutes twice a day in warm water in a high sided bowl while it isn't eating

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi Jacqui, it is 2.5ft by 3ft tortoise table.the temp at the center of the table is 82 F which is maintained by Ceramic bulb.this bulb is on all the time 24 hours.
humidity is 80%, fogger running all the time . 3/4 of the table is closed. he has hide and plants at the other corner where temp is 70F.day time he roam near the ceramic bulb,soak for sometime in water dish but night he go inside the hide.

Only concern is he has not eaten anything since saturday.its been 5 days :( .
What foods have you offered. Try worms, slugs, snails and mushrooms. Bet he can't resist a wiggly worm.

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Hi JoesMum - When i adopted him last weekend from the rescue center , i did not have a bigger tortoise table so using this table. My husband is working on a new tortoise table, 6x4x2ft . will be ready by sunday . I will click few pics of the current enclosure now and post it.

Hi Anyfoot - the other day i offered him mix of collard greens, a small piece of banana,1 strawberry ,mushrooms and dried worms.yesterday i offered him grated sweet potato, mushroom,collard green and strawberry.i will definitely try live worms today.

Thank you so much for your responses!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would hold off on the force soaks for a bit, as sometimes handling these guys can cause them to not eat.:rolleyes:

Make sure any fruit is really ripe, for best results.

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Sure Jacqui. am not force soaking him, he sits in the water dish by himself, for a good amount of time...i haven't touch or hold him since i moved him in the enclosure, trying not to freak him out and let him take his own time to get comfortable.Thanks for the suggestion!