A New Leopard Tortoise Sexing Thread!

pete2438

Location (City and/or State)
Nairobi
Hi All - I run a Speck's Hingeback Tortoise Rescue in Kenya (their native lands, but housing development and urban sprawl...). A few months ago someone brought me 4 Leopards and I guess they're staying. I have my own assessments of gender, but would like some help. Each of these is a different tort. They don't live in this cage, I just gathered them up for photos! They're in order of ascending size - the last is a bit over 35lbs.

IMG_2557.jpgIMG_2558.jpgIMG_2559.jpgIMG_2560.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They might still be too small to be sure. Tortoises all look female when young. The anal scutes point outward on males and in or straight back on females. So using that criteria, they're all female.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All - I run a Speck's Hingeback Tortoise Rescue in Kenya (their native lands, but housing development and urban sprawl...). A few months ago someone brought me 4 Leopards and I guess they're staying. I have my own assessments of gender, but would like some help. Each of these is a different tort. They don't live in this cage, I just gathered them up for photos! They're in order of ascending size - the last is a bit over 35lbs.

View attachment 355040View attachment 355041View attachment 355042View attachment 355043
We need to be able to see the tails. The first three look like juveniles. The last one looks female.

pete2438

Nairobi
Will try to get tails - Nairobi's rainy season started yesterday, the temps dropped quite a bit and everyone is a bit out of sorts...