A pair of sulcata rescues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camirdra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA
I'm just glad we have the room for them all, our herd is up to 5 torts now! And to think it all started with a little lost leopard tort crossing the road in Hawaii... :)

(I gave the russians to my boyfriends parents, now they are hooked too!)

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Camirdra said:
cemmons12 said:
Just curious, have you any plans to take them for a vet visit? Best of luck to you and them! :) Im sure they will get proper care now, thank God!

I have been looking for a vet in our area for reptiles and have had no luck. Although I'm not sure what a vet could do for them at this point. They don't seem to be suffering form any bug infestation or respiratory issues. I did think about getting Loanstar scanned to see if he has any internal issues from the shell deformation, just to know whats going on in there.

I have a rescued sulcata that looks about as bad as Loanstar, and also has a giant dented area on the side of his shell. I asked the vet if it would interfere with his growth and such, and the vet said, "Naw, they gotta lotta extra room in that shell. He'll be fine." That's literally how he said it, lol. I've had Shelly for 2 years now and he's grown a noticeable amount, and had absolutely no mobility trouble due to his severe deformities. I tend to think things will only get better for your guys from here on out. GOOD SAVE!!!!

Annaliisas

5 Year Member
Your tort looks a lot like mine. I just rescued a sulcata recently that had a very poor diet and no sun for 5 years, except for weekly runs to the park. Wally was fed only lettuce and nothing else. Part of the agreement for me getting Wally for free was that I kept in touch with the previous owner to show her son how Wally was doing. I reported back to her that Wally didn't walk on his back legs due most likely to MBD. And he is severely pyramided. But Wally has been in the sun, outside since I got him, a diet recommended by Tom and others here, and he is doing fabulous! He can stand for short period of time now and get out of his water dish. He runs around just fine. He is very active. But he isn't perfect and as long as he is happy and getting healthier, I'm ok with it. He isn't a show tort. He is one of my kids. Bumps and all. The previous owner emailed me back that she didn't know that sunlight was so important to his health. She obviously didn't do any research on owning a tort. Enough said.

Camirdra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA
Awesome guys! I figured I wasn't the only one to rescue a tort like this. I'll worry a bit less about what's going on inside and just focus on keeping them happy and healthy :) They really are doing MUCH better already.

Status
Not open for further replies.