A pig is his best friend

Michael Meluskey

Greetings, first time post.
We have a 25 year old, 100lb male Sulcata named Cheeba. We got him 3 years ago, because he ate his way out of every home his original owner (a co-worker of mine) could find for him on St. John. A few years ago we put him in a wooden pen and transported him 40 miles south on a fast boat to St. Croix where I live. We have 16 acres of pasture....since grass is their favorite food, no danger of him going hungry.
Before he arrived, I considered building a fence, but instead glued a radio transmitter to his shell. He roamed to neighboring properties a few times, but I retrieved him (no easy feat, picking a 100lb squirming tortoise and putting him on your ATV seat) but then he found a friend / worthy opponent.
Wilbert the mini pig.
I assume it is a territorial dominance thing, Cheeba will spend an hour chasing the pig, butting into him and generally harassing him until he gets bored or hungry. The pig groans and carries on like its the end of the world.....then they often cuddle up and sleep together. Cheeba has not wandered since they started this game years ago. Even Category 5 Hurricane Maria didn't phase him, after I had to drag him to high ground when his sleep area flooded.
So a possible solution to a roaming male, give him a worthy opponent to fight for his territory, and he will stick around.IMG_1896.JPG

22096096_10214352908684931_3731084582180593533_o.jpg

orv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aguanga, CA
Love the story. I guess that some tortoises get lucky in love . . . even if its with a mini-pig. Just no accounting for taste sometimes.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
They make a cute couple. That was a neat story, your Sulcata is beautiful too by the way. And as far as pigs go, he's quite the looker too.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
What a great story! How lucky you are to have 16 acres on St. Croix! I've only been to the Virgin Islands once but ever since then I've dreamed of retiring to St. Croix.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What a wonderful story. I'm so envy of your 16 acres of land........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome from Texas! I love your story. Cheeba is a very beautiful tortoise and that piggy is a cute one too. Sounds like you’ve got things going for your sully just perfectly set up. I live in suburbs and due to space limitations the family had chosen much smaller species and we ended up with 2 tiny adorable Redfooted babies 3 yrs ago. Tortoises rock! and it’s great to have you here. Will be looking forward to your posts and pictures, please! Lots of pictures:)