a pink thing protrudes out while he baths, poos or pees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abee

5 Year Member
Hi All,

My name is Abee and I stay in Pune, India.

I have two Indian Star torst. Per my understanding one is male(Gypsy) and other is female(snowy). I will post pics to get expert opinion on that.

They are with me for last 6 months. I keep them free in my apartment which is quite sunny. However I am planning to build them an enclosure with top soil as substrate. I keep them on newspapers when I feed them or I go out.

I will come to point now. Gypsy is 5 inch long and 3 inch wide (shell dimensions). Today when I was soaking him.. while going out he kept his tail inside the tray and pooed a white thing (I have observed this earlier too however what happened next worried me more)..then he went out and pooed the normal dark thing. While pooing out something pink was coming out of his tail hole and it was going in again . He flashed that thing 4-5 times while wagging his tail and pooing and then took it inside again. After that he normally ate lot of cucumber and slept. When I picked him today evening he urinated and while urinating that pink thing came out again and went in.

I am worried as I have never seen him doing this in last six months , he never urinates when I pick him up ..he is quite familiar with me and at times responds to my voice commands too.

Please help. There are no good reptile vets here in India and Stars are not legal also.

Regards,
Abee

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I believe what you are seeing is actually Gypsy flashing you with his penis. It's normal and seems to happen most during warm baths. Just be sure it always goes back inside, if it fails to go back then you can have some major health issues.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Abee, and welcome to the Forum!!

Yes, like Jacqui has told you, you can now be quite sure that Gypsy is a boy tortoise!!

The white that came out in the pee is normal too. If it is liquid, up to cottage cheese consistency, it is normal, but if it comes out hard, like hard poo, then the tortoise is dehydrated.

There is information on this (urates) here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-14782.html

Abee

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Abee, and welcome to the Forum!!

Yes, like Jacqui has told you, you can now be quite sure that Gypsy is a boy tortoise!!

The white that came out in the pee is normal too. If it is liquid, up to cottage cheese consistency, it is normal, but if it comes out hard, like hard poo, then the tortoise is dehydrated.

There is information on this (urates) here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-14782.html

Thanks Guys . Phew!!! I am relaxed now. I will soon be posting pics with the enclosure .

Abee

5 Year Member
RE: Help on enclosure plants

Hi

I am planning to build an enclosure for my torts . I have already built a 2X4 feet wooden table. I am planning to include some live plants.

I am planning to have one hibiscus, 1 aloe vera , some kind of fern or plant with big leaves for shade.

Please let me know if these plants are good for star torts.

Regards,
Abhinav

Abee

5 Year Member
RE: Help on enclosure plants

Abee said:
Hi

I am planning to build an enclosure for my torts . I have already built a 2X4 feet wooden table. I am planning to include some live plants.

I am planning to have one hibiscus, 1 aloe vera , some kind of fern or plant with big leaves for shade.

Please let me know if these plants are good for star torts.

Regards,
Abhinav

Any help ?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Don't know about plants for stars; but if you mean 2 foot by 4 foot, then try to increase your size.

2 meters by 4 meters sounds great!

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.