A question of mushrooms

Jlsretics

Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2017
Messages
26
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Let's say that your tortoise is living in a very large pen that tends to naturally grow psilocybin mushrooms. I know they aren't poisonous cause he has definitely eaten some. My question is basically is my tortoise tripping balls and might he mistake me for a very large carrot? I know box turtles can eat mushrooms that would kill us and wonder if maybe psilocybin doesn't effect them like it does us?
 

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
57,289
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Mushrooms are very difficult to ID. Some of them are deadly toxic and look very similar to harmless ones. In my option, it is best to not risk it. I remove any mushroom that pops up and chuck it in the trash.
 

Jlsretics

Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2017
Messages
26
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
I agree with Tom. The only true safe ones are the ones we know are human safe.
The only problem is when I say "pen" I am talking about an area of several acres that he can roam. Of course, he has his favorite areas and stays mostly around the home, I am sure that he has some burrows out there for when he feels like wandering for awhile...lol
 

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Moderator
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jul 16, 2014
Messages
25,736
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The only problem is when I say "pen" I am talking about an area of several acres that he can roam. Of course, he has his favorite areas and stays mostly around the home, I am sure that he has some burrows out there for when he feels like wandering for awhile...lol
Remove any dead wood, etc or any substrate that keeps producing mushrooms.
 
Top