A Terrible Loss for Me

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
This morning my beloved cat, Sammy, died at the vet's office.😭😭
He had suddenly gone into acute renal failure, and despite IV fluids since Fri, was not able to recover.
2013-06-11 19.51.43.jpg
Sammy was a special cat (as all loved cats are) who had adopted me and Pete nine years ago. He was living under our bus conversion parked next to our house. It took 3 days of feeding him til he decided I was trustworthy enough to come to me and start rubbing and purring. A couple months later he was neutered and moved inside with us.

He was about a year old, and had been a house cat before. He already knew about cat trees, litter boxes, and especially sleeping with, or between, his humans. He became an indoor cat and seemed satisfied with that...oh, occasionally he'd dash out between my feet, but stayed right near the house, and came back in when called.

Sometimes he would sit and stare out the glass door or a window, pondering life I suppose.
Sammy contemplates.jpg
He was a Maine Coon mix, and true to his breed, he would follow me room to room, walking behind the dogs and crowding the bathroom with warm furry bodies.
2013-10-16 09.17.55.jpg

2013-10-16 09.17.45.jpg

If you came by to visit and sat down, you were rewarded with a 10 lb pile of long-haired feline, who would lovingly knead your legs. But when a red laser dot appeared on the floor, he would jump into action, pouncing, attacking, rolling around...he won the fight over every dot without fail.

Sammy, you died alone in a cage, and for that I will always be sorry. I so much wanted to see you, and hold you and stroke your fur one last time, but it wasn't meant to be.

RIP, my dear Sammy. My solace is that, for sure, you knew that you were loved. 🐈💝

2013-10-12 12.46.22.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
What a beautiful cat. I'm very sorry for your loss. Cats are special animals, and the way you describe Sammy suggests he definitely felt your love.
Thank you. Sammy knew he was loved, and he loved me in return.

Even the vet said what a great cat he was. When the vet was in the room, Sammy would meow at him to get the vet to come pet him. I'm thankful that Sammy got some affection while he was hospitalized.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
sorry to hear of your loss ..

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Very sorry to hear of this loss. My thoughts are with you.

AmandaF

Congresbury
This morning my beloved cat, Sammy, died at the vet's office.😭😭
He had suddenly gone into acute renal failure, and despite IV fluids since Fri, was not able to recover.
View attachment 351095
Sammy was a special cat (as all loved cats are) who had adopted me and Pete nine years ago. He was living under our bus conversion parked next to our house. It took 3 days of feeding him til he decided I was trustworthy enough to come to me and start rubbing and purring. A couple months later he was neutered and moved inside with us.

He was about a year old, and had been a house cat before. He already knew about cat trees, litter boxes, and especially sleeping with, or between, his humans. He became an indoor cat and seemed satisfied with that...oh, occasionally he'd dash out between my feet, but stayed right near the house, and came back in when called.

Sometimes he would sit and stare out the glass door or a window, pondering life I suppose.
View attachment 351094
He was a Maine Coon mix, and true to his breed, he would follow me room to room, walking behind the dogs and crowding the bathroom with warm furry bodies.
View attachment 351092

View attachment 351093

If you came by to visit and sat down, you were rewarded with a 10 lb pile of long-haired feline, who would lovingly knead your legs. But when a red laser dot appeared on the floor, he would jump into action, pouncing, attacking, rolling around...he won the fight over every dot without fail.

Sammy, you died alone in a cage, and for that I will always be sorry. I so much wanted to see you, and hold you and stroke your fur one last time, but it wasn't meant to be.

RIP, my dear Sammy. My solace is that, for sure, you knew that you were loved. 🐈💝

View attachment 351091
I’m so sorry for your loss x

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh Karen, I so feel your loss. I lost my 2 senior cats in 6 months, my 10 yr old from kidney disease too. I'm so sorry...
I have a 16 year old cat who is one of the special ones...My Simon has a melanoma in his right eye...he is blind in it now and the iris is brown instead of yellow.
So I fostered a litter of kittens and adopted one. I haven't had a kitten for 25 years or so, and damn it's fun...adopt a kitten....so cool....it helps with the pain...
They pooped in my plantsDSCN0551.JPG
They tried to steal Smokey's bed...DSCN0566.JPG but Smoke defended his bed, I moved it into the living room to fix it, and Smokey jumped in to protect his bed from the babies...DSCN0547.JPG
I had so much fun with those babies. They were only 2 weeks old when I started fostering them, oh and Smokey lost his bed lolDSCN0567.JPG
So I adopted the runt...I named him Little Bit...he's solid grey...DSCN0465.JPG
This is August...he went to the office girlDSCN0591.JPGand the solid black one went to a senior lady. They were a lot of work bottle feeding them and teaching about the litter box, etc. But more fun than work...
I hope this made you smile a "little bit" lolDSCN0502.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0502.JPG
    DSCN0502.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 1

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I'm so sorry for your loss. My last cat was also named Sammy (short for Sampson, which since he was a foster at the time I named him w/o expecting to keep him). They are truly special creatures we are fortunate enough to have in our lives

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dang, Karen! I'm so sorry to hear this. My heart hurts for your loss.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh Karen, I so feel your loss. I lost my 2 senior cats in 6 months, my 10 yr old from kidney disease too. I'm so sorry...
I have a 16 year old cat who is one of the special ones...My Simon has a melanoma in his right eye...he is blind in it now and the iris is brown instead of yellow.
So I fostered a litter of kittens and adopted one. I haven't had a kitten for 25 years or so, and damn it's fun...adopt a kitten....so cool....it helps with the pain...
They pooped in my plantsView attachment 351110
They tried to steal Smokey's bed...View attachment 351111 but Smoke defended his bed, I moved it into the living room to fix it, and Smokey jumped in to protect his bed from the babies...View attachment 351112
I had so much fun with those babies. They were only 2 weeks old when I started fostering them, oh and Smokey lost his bed lolView attachment 351113
So I adopted the runt...I named him Little Bit...he's solid grey...View attachment 351116
This is August...he went to the office girlView attachment 351115and the solid black one went to a senior lady. They were a lot of work bottle feeding them and teaching about the litter box, etc. But more fun than work...
I hope this made you smile a "little bit" lolView attachment 351117
Thank you, Maggie. You managed to put a smile on my face. :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dang, Karen! I'm so sorry to hear this. My heart hurts for your loss.
Thanks, Yvonne. He was a really great companion. I keep looking at the places he would lie in wait, ready to hook my foot as I went by, or to peek around furniture at my dogs then dash across the room. Then he'd look at me as if to say "why are they always chasing me?" He got along with everyone, and liked his dog siblings.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm so sorry for your loss. My last cat was also named Sammy (short for Sampson, which since he was a foster at the time I named him w/o expecting to keep him). They are truly special creatures we are fortunate enough to have in our lives
Thank you. I have no idea why I called him Sammy....it just kind of popped out of my mouth one day long ago. That was also before we knew he was staying with us.