A week out of brumation and still no poo!

Ubercat

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield
Hi everyone,

Khan, a rescued Horsefield of approximately 5 years came out of a short brumation one week ago. It was short because he was only just fat enough, having been infested with parasites when I first got him and always remained a poor eater. This is the first time he’s brúmated since I’ve had him and he seems perkier and and better at eating than when he went in, as I’d hoped. I’ve been giving him soaks of 20-30 minutes in lukewarm water every day except 2 since he’s been out, and his drinking appears fine, too. The only problem? No poo! Should I be worried? What can I do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Soak him longer at least an hour and keep him moving and in a container that gives him room to move. Have the water come up his shell about half way. Keep the water warm
All the moving helps get things moving around inside.
Also are you sure he isn't eating his poop? Some, not many, will so that.

Ubercat

Sheffield
Soak him longer at least an hour and keep him moving and in a container that gives him room to move. Have the water come up his shell about half way. Keep the water warm
All the moving helps get things moving around inside.
Also are you sure he isn't eating his poop? Some, not many, will so that.
Great, I’ll leave him in over an hour and increase the temperature slightly.

I actually have him in fairly deep water in the sink - so he gets quite a lot of movement swimming. This began as a sport of hydrotherapy for his poor, weak limbs when I got him. He seems to enjoy swimming and pre-brumation would poo, urate and urinate normally, also.

I can’t be 100% certain he’s not eating poo, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him poo anywhere other than in water, but I will increase my vigilance!

Thanks so much for your advice,
Marsha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone,

Khan, a rescued Horsefield of approximately 5 years came out of a short brumation one week ago. It was short because he was only just fat enough, having been infested with parasites when I first got him and always remained a poor eater. This is the first time he’s brúmated since I’ve had him and he seems perkier and and better at eating than when he went in, as I’d hoped. I’ve been giving him soaks of 20-30 minutes in lukewarm water every day except 2 since he’s been out, and his drinking appears fine, too. The only problem? No poo! Should I be worried? What can I do?
It takes at least 7-10 days for food to work its way through a tortoise GI tract under normal fully operational conditions. It can take two or three weeks sometimes for the GI tract to fill up and then need to be emptied out the other side after brumating on an empty gut. What you are seeing is normal. Give it time and keep feeding the tortoise the right foods.

Last edited: