A WORD OF CAUTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I would like to share this tragic story as a reminder to be very cautious about your tortoises and other pets. I received an e-mail today from someone that has recently purchased a young aldabra tortoise. Evidently he went on vacation and had someone that did not live in the house come over and tend to the pets. Sounds like the aldabra had free roam of the yard. When the pet watcher come over and let the dogs out, evidently they had no idea the tortoise was in the yard. The next morning they found the aldabra had been killed. I share this story as a reminder to be cautious about other pets and your tortoises!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is so sad:(. They must of been devastated. If we post it enough, we might get the word out, fingers crossed this is the last one.

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
This is a terrible bit of news. Agree that spreading the word will hopefully prevent it from happening again in the future. Every precaution must be taken.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Why in the heck, would they not made sure the watcher knew about the aldabra being out there and to watch the dogs when let out into the yard?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That could have so easily been prevented. :( What a sad outcome for all!

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
I use to let my farm dog around my turtle and tortoise, but that won't happen again after reading all these storys.. I am sorry to hear about everyones loss..

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
I trained my cats to be nice to turtles. They sleep with them now. It's so precious. But my cats are well fed and happy. I have heard stories of people dogs getting into turtle pens and playing with them like a toy. To sad. Hope that person still has a love for tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This makes no sense. How could this happen? Was the person not supposed to let the dogs out into their own back yard? Or did the vacationers just think, "it won't happen to me..."

Status
Not open for further replies.