A Year In The Life Of Cupcake

Brandi

5 Year Member
I have been a member for some years but never posted or did much else but read others post because I am not sure how to ask questions complying with the guidelines. If this is wrong place to ask question please help guide me to appropriate area and protocol. I have a 6 year old leopard, named Jhonny, that I have had since he (I assume) was almost one year old. I knew nothing of care and feeding so I relied online and local reptile shops. Received a lot of conflicting info but I always made sure he was well fed and proper housing, heating, humidity, lighting, calcium, etc. He was pyramiding somewhat when I got him and the vet said he would be fine and round out later ...well he didn’t and the vet no longer taking reptile family. He is extremely friendly and loves people, recognizes my voice, eats out of my hand, loves to be held and loves his warm soak, sitting under sprinklers, and being sprayed by the hose in his rear quarters which makes him wiggle. In other words a very happy guy.
QUESTIONS:
1. Is there any way to reverse pyramiding or stop it from getting worse ?
2. He tends to pace when alone outside is that normal?
3. I was told to feed him monster diet pellets or mazuri (he won’t eat mazuri)for his species sprinkled with calcium powder but now I read where that causes pyramiding... which is correct? I have always supplemented with greens he eats but he won’t eat Timothy orchard hay or flowers cactus or other things he is suppose to
4. Would he be happier if he had a partner leopard and if so better to have female or male? I am not even sure is a male!
5. Is there a way to chip or mark tortoise in case he gets lost?
Any help will be most appreciated !

Thank you
Brandi

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I have been a member for some years but never posted or did much else but read others post because I am not sure how to ask questions complying with the guidelines. If this is wrong place to ask question please help guide me to appropriate area and protocol. I have a 6 year old leopard, named Jhonny, that I have had since he (I assume) was almost one year old. I knew nothing of care and feeding so I relied online and local reptile shops. Received a lot of conflicting info but I always made sure he was well fed and proper housing, heating, humidity, lighting, calcium, etc. He was pyramiding somewhat when I got him and the vet said he would be fine and round out later ...well he didn’t and the vet no longer taking reptile family. He is extremely friendly and loves people, recognizes my voice, eats out of my hand, loves to be held and loves his warm soak, sitting under sprinklers, and being sprayed by the hose in his rear quarters which makes him wiggle. In other words a very happy guy.
QUESTIONS:
3. I was told to feed him monster diet pellets or mazuri (he won’t eat mazuri)for his species sprinkled with calcium powder but now I read where that causes pyramiding... which is correct? I have always supplemented with greens he eats but he won’t eat Timothy orchard hay or flowers cactus or other things he is suppose to
4. Would he be happier if he had a partner leopard and if so better to have female or male? I am not even sure is a male!

Thank you
Brandi
Hi Brandi! If you go to Forums, scroll down until you get to African Tortoises. Click on it. Then scroll down to find leopard tortoise. Then click on “post new thread.” You can post all your questions. I don’t have a leopard so I won’t be much help.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
QUESTIONS:

Thank you
Brandi
Ok, I can answer some of those but please post it in a new thread so we don’t hijack this post.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
How do I do that
Hi Brandi! If you go to Forums, scroll down until you get to African Tortoises. Click on it. Then scroll down to find leopard tortoise. Then click on “post new thread.” You can post all your questions.

Brandi

5 Year Member
Ok thank you I will go to FORUM and post new thread

Brit G

Texas
Interesting. See, I am still learning.

I know he's a beauty. His shell pattern is just gorgeous. I'm lucky to have him :D

I will continue to post updates on here as he grows!

Wow!! Maybe I should keep my future leopard this way! Coconut oil is a must, I guess :)

Salspi

Chicago
Do you think coconut oil is the trick you’ve found that keeps the shell so smooth?

leopardcupcake

5 Year Member
Wow!! Maybe I should keep my future leopard this way! Coconut oil is a must, I guess :)
Do you think coconut oil is the trick you’ve found that keeps the shell so smooth?

I want to be completely honest with both of you. This is the only tortoise that I have, and my experience comes from the year and a half that I have owned him. There are others on here much more experienced and knowledgeable than I am that would be much better qualified to speak on the topic of coconut oil. I just saw the thread on here about coconut oil when I first got Cupcake and decided to give it a try. I knew that my humidity levels were not high enough so I continued with the coconut oil. Now it is part of our weekly routine.

I can only speak from my experience. I do not feel qualified to recommend the use of coconut oil to others, but I also feel like giving it a try would not be harmful.

I also want to share that Cupcake is not completely smooth. He does have some pyramiding. This is my fault, and I believe due to the lack of humidity.

I have seen pictures of completely, 100% smooth leopard tortoise shells on here and they were all raised in high humidity environments.

Basically, I guess i'm trying to be completely transparent with everyone on here. I do not want to recommend coconut oil to others because I do not feel qualified to make that recommendation.

I do, however, want to continue to share Cupcake's growth and my experiences with him. He is growing into such a beauty. Coconut oil is a part of his husbandry so I will continue to share that experience as well.

Here is a side view to show his pyramiding. I am sorry if it does not come across in his other pictures. I just kind of snap away and don't really focus on angles.

7D855D93-87EA-42B7-95DF-871A9D68E316.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

tomoyuki honda

5 Year Member
So i've had my baby Cupcake for over a year now. He has gone from 36 grams to 375 grams in that time and I almost can't believe how beautiful he is. He absolutely loves Mazuri pellets and radicchio and I adore everything about him. He does have some pyramiding and I am working to fix that. I spent six months in the police academy and I did not focus on his humidity levels as much as I should have. Overall though, he is happy, healthy, and has a huge appetite. Here's a photo montage of his first year of life! :):<3:

February 24th, 2017 and 36 grams
View attachment 231855 View attachment 231856
View attachment 231886

March 6th, 43 grams
View attachment 231857

March 14th, 46 grams
View attachment 231858

April 2nd, 61 grams
View attachment 231859

April 21st, 72 grams
View attachment 231860

May 5th, 79 grams
View attachment 231862 View attachment 231863

July, 23 95 grams
View attachment 231885

September 3rd, 115 grams
View attachment 231864 View attachment 231865

October 21st, 170 grams
View attachment 231866

November 23rd, 200 grams
View attachment 231867 View attachment 231868

December 9th, 241 grams
View attachment 231869

December 31st, 272 grams
View attachment 231870 View attachment 231871

January 15th 2018, 294 grams
View attachment 231872 View attachment 231873 View attachment 231874 View attachment 231875 View attachment 231876

March 1st 2018, 375 grams
View attachment 231877 View attachment 231878 View attachment 231879 View attachment 231880 View attachment 231881 View attachment 231882 View attachment 231883
a

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
What a beauty, What a beauty! ! ! ! ! !