A YEAR LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I have had Giggerata now for a little over a year. When I got her, she was 14 1/2'scl, and the "shipping weight" was 17 1/2#. To me, it didn't appear that she had grown recently at all. I just checked her stats, and as of today, she is 16 1/2" scl, and 28 1/2#.She actually has about 1/8th inch new growth between her "stuck" vertebral scutes. The spaces between the marginals have not all grown yet, but I bet they will this year.
000_2617.jpg

000_1249.jpg

000_1229.jpg

000_2641.jpg

000_1247.jpg

THE END.
000_1239.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Very pretty tortoise :D and

You are so lucky, not many of us get a chance to see the elusive 5 toe species this time of year....:D.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's quite a bit of new growth all the way around...and nice, bright and vivid. Did you do anything to ease the stuck part?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I believe that the stuck scutes are a result of very poor nutrition and there's just not enough resources for the tortoise to draw on to grow in a normal way. Or that their diet lacks something necessary for proper growth. I think the answer is to provide extra nutrition. I think that it will take awhile for the vertebral scutes to become more normal, because the spine must also grow in tandem with the shell and nerve tissue grows at a slow rate. Along with some of my box turtles, she has been getting occasional vitashell since her shell has a bit of wear on it that I wanted to protect. I think that she's destined to get quite large.
emysemys said:
There's quite a bit of new growth all the way around...and nice, bright and vivid. Did you do anything to ease the stuck part?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You have a very nice female there.

Status
Not open for further replies.