Abandoned slider in residential area… Shell Rot?

Ompus

Location (City and/or State)
Miami
This is a slider that was found crawling in someone’s backyard. They know we have tortoises, so they asked if we wanted to help it. Unfortunately I have zero experience w/ water turtles, generally. There isn’t a strong smell, but my son says it’s there. I see pitting and the seems to be sloughing off in places. The skin also looks like it has sloughed off in places, but there is no redness or wounds. So basically… I have ZERO clue how to care for this seemingly sick turtle. Your thoughts would be appreciated.B53609DF-4269-4F67-A225-40FF5ED92202.jpeg

Attachments

• 3D61F40B-739F-4563-8C27-160C1EB88C6B.jpeg
    3D61F40B-739F-4563-8C27-160C1EB88C6B.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 97C22568-5D38-4BE7-8002-62445010D7D9.jpeg
    97C22568-5D38-4BE7-8002-62445010D7D9.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 7

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Can you show the plastron?

Sloughing/built up shedded skin is what I am thinking is probably the sloughing. Without clean water or a proper basking area, they cannot dry out and instead accumulate bacteria. Some nice clean water with a filtration system, a fully dry basking area, and a flood bulb/uv strip will go a long way.

Have you tried feeding them? How is their appetite? (fyi they only eat in the water)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
They can only eat in water...night crawlers, or pellets...but not lettuce...lol...he looks like an old sewer turtle...maybe the best thing to do for him is to put him in the nearest water, lake or stream...

Ompus

Miami

Sloughing/built up shedded skin is what I am thinking is probably the sloughing. Without clean water or a proper basking area, they cannot dry out and instead accumulate bacteria. Some nice clean water with a filtration system, a fully dry basking area, and a flood bulb/uv strip will go a long way.

Have you tried feeding them? How is their appetite? (fyi they only eat in the water)
Thank you.

I’ll take a pic of his plastron and post it. It seemed entirely normal.

He has eaten. I can’t really comment on his appetite as we have only had him for 24 hours.

The remaining question is whether I treat him for shell rot w/ povidone-iodine or not.

Once we are certain he is stable we have a small outdoor pond w/ can place him in where he will be able to have a fully dry basking area.

Release is not an option as red eared sliders are not native to South Florida.

Ompus

Miami

Plastron:

Attachments

• F3AFA479-C751-45E2-988C-B27C1F298E34.jpeg
    F3AFA479-C751-45E2-988C-B27C1F298E34.jpeg
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 7
  • FB8B02A9-F67E-4D1E-890C-D56244704289.jpeg
    FB8B02A9-F67E-4D1E-890C-D56244704289.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thank you.

He has eaten. I can’t really comment on his appetite as we have only had him for 24 hours.

The remaining question is whether I treat him for shell rot w/ povidone-iodine or not.

Once we are certain he is stable we have a small outdoor pond w/ can place him in where he will be able to have a fully dry basking area.

I don't think its shell rot, usually that is on the plastron and not the carapace. I am thinking it's just long term damage. When you took the 1st pic, was the turtle very dry?

I treated my turtle with betadine on his carapace and some silver sulfadiazide which you can only get at the vet due to some burns he had on his shell. You could see dark patches on it, where there was a buildup of sort of puss filled bacteria behind the surface. Just feel the shell to make sure it's nice and solid. I am attaching pics of what his shell looked like within the first month I received him just for reference. Also please note iodine is a harsh treatment that prevents new growth. Not sure there is any real alternative here but you might want to do a bit of research.

I was asking if they ate to see if there were any signs of parasites. Just keep a look out for stool and check their appetite. I feed my turtle boiled chicken, shrimp, canned tuna in water, sardines in water....I guess more human food plus pellets like Mazuri and Hikari. He had worms before and really enjoyed them. Blood worms were the only things he ate when he had an overload of parasites.

Also check to see if they are swimming/floating straight and not lopsided in case of respiratory issues.

Attachments

• 20151026_145545.jpg
    20151026_145545.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20151123_200635.jpg
    20151123_200635.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you.

No iodine, if he has shell rot and I don't see it, just use over the counter athlete's foot cream...it's a fungus. No iodine ever. It kills the cells needed for regrowth...if you don't know about treatment...don't treat just because you "think" he needs it...he's just an old RES...he's been wild and that's what you see...be mean to keep him in a "small" back yard pond. Just my opinion

Ompus

Miami
No iodine, if he has shell rot and I don't see it, just use over the counter athlete's foot cream...it's a fungus. No iodine ever. It kills the cells needed for regrowth...if you don't know about treatment...don't treat just because you "think" he needs it...he's just an old RES...he's been wild and that's what you see...be mean to keep him in a "small" back yard pond. Just my opinion
where he was found, there is zero chance he was wild.

Ompus

Miami
At the moment, I’m just doing triage. If I can find someone who will care for him better than I can, I’ll hand him over. But, as RES are a non-native invasive species, I won’t be releasing him.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
His shell looks in surprisingly good condition, save the peeling and lack of color. I had expected to see holes and such on his plastron but it looks relatively good to me.

He looks like a Slider that has been raised without lighting...........that dark color, devoid of anything indicates that to me.

I think that's what Maggie meant by a "sewer turtle".........they don't get light either.

I used to keep several tanks/dozen or so little guys....I am NOT educated like some of the talent here on this forum but if it were me, I'd get him in a small tank, 30-50 gallon if you have it, and put a couple of injured small fish, goldfish will do for now....just to let him eat.....

How is he as far as "tameness"?

Thanks for taking the time to help the little guy, very very cool of you!

jeff

Ompus

Miami
His shell looks in surprisingly good condition, save the peeling and lack of color. I had expected to see holes and such on his plastron but it looks relatively good to me.

He looks like a Slider that has been raised without lighting...........that dark color, devoid of anything indicates that to me.

I think that's what Maggie meant by a "sewer turtle".........they don't get light either.

I used to keep several tanks/dozen or so little guys....I am NOT educated like some of the talent here on this forum but if it were me, I'd get him in a small tank, 30-50 gallon if you have it, and put a couple of injured small fish, goldfish will do for now....just to let him eat.....

How is he as far as "tameness"?

Thanks for taking the time to help the little guy, very very cool of you!

jeff
Update…

The Turtle got one treatment of diluted povidone-iodine. I stopped b/c I wasn’t convinced it was shell rot. We ended up putting him in a small, filtered outdoor pond that is roughly 12” deep and 5’ diameter. He has sunning spots. At first he seemed excessively buoyant. Within a week he was swimming normally. He recognizes humans and comes for food. We have a permit from Florida Fish and wildlife

Guts

Tennessee
That’s great that he’s settled in!

Just a heads since someone mentioned feeding them goldfish, goldfish are terrible nutritionally and are very high in thiaminase which can be dangerous if consumed in excess.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Update…

The Turtle got one treatment of diluted povidone-iodine. I stopped b/c I wasn’t convinced it was shell rot. We ended up putting him in a small, filtered outdoor pond that is roughly 12” deep and 5’ diameter. He has sunning spots. At first he seemed excessively buoyant. Within a week he was swimming normally. He recognizes humans and comes for food. We have a permit from Florida Fish and wildlife
Wow!! Welcome to the forum. I love that your patience & your kind heart worked towards improving the RES's outcome. Thanks for sharing!!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
This is super news, thanks for keeping a bunch of former strangers, up to date! Now you've got a bunch of new friends....LOL

What G says bout goldfish is correct....most of us avoid them like the plague...well, cause some of them carry a turtle version of the plague....parasites so should be avoided or used sparingly. I suggested them only cause everybody is familiar & has easy access to them. I did not know about the vitamin issue. Thanks.....just learned my new thing of the day and it's not yet 6:10 am!

"small, filtered outdoor pond that is roughly 12” deep and 5’ diameter. He has sunning spots. At first he seemed excessively buoyant. Within a week he was swimming normally. He recognizes humans and comes for food"

Turtle-heaven.....................the life of Riley!