about pyramiding..

Status
Not open for further replies.

11iketra1ns

5 Year Member
Hello. About 3 months ago I bought a 3 year old Russian tortoise. I have noticed he has a slight pyramiding and I think it is getting worse. I have been told pyramiding is caused by too much protein in his diet but I have also heard that it is low calcium, low fiber or low humidity. I don't know who to believe as there are so many different ways to prevent pyramiding. What is the best way to stop it from getting any worse?

Cymmie

5 Year Member
I have heard that it is a combination of things that you have to do in order to prevent pyramiding. With RT's I wouldn't keep it too humid, as they don't like humidity a ton... but always provide a humid hide and make sure they are well hydrated by soaking at least two-three times a week (from what I've read). It can be caused definitely by too much protein and therefore they grow too fast. So make sure you aren't feeding alfalfa or legumes. I don't think fiber is a problem and I think too low of calcium would cause MBD not pyramiding.

I don't know for certain if you can reverse pyramiding in a three year old. Someone more experienced will fill in and correct anything I forgotten or said wrong. So don't take my word as the bible of tortoises XD. It's just what I have gleaned from reading through threads on here. Welcome by the way ^^

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Advice given seems pretty good. Adult RT do need some humidity, about 30-40%. You can't reverse what is already there, but you can stop it from continuing.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Can you share some pictures?

I like to verify for myself that the tortoise is indeed pyramiding. Especially since this is a Russian.

How do you know it is 3? Was this a Captive Bred baby and you know the hatch date?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, leopards, redfooteds, sulcatas, to mention the more commonly kept tortoises, required humidity when first hatched and throughout their first year to help maintain a smooth shell.

Also, in my opinion, the Mediterranean species of tortoise do NOT require the high humidity to maintain smooth growth. I THINK that Russians that are showing bumpiness are being cared for and fed improperly. I think that Russians need a good diet, with plenty of calcium PLUS sunshine to grow smoothly, and too much humidity doesn't play a part in it. Don't get me wrong...they need humidity, just not as much as the aforementioned species.

So, if your Russian tortoise is bumpy you need to take a good hard look at your husbandry practices, and try to get him out into the real sunshine as often as possible.

Here's a link to a good care sheet:

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

P.S.

Welcome to the Forum!!

11iketra1ns

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the help :)
Here are some pictures of my tortoise (sorry for bad quality)
Dgen93e.jpg

Bcy0SXx.jpg

K8icp0v.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.