absolutely ridiculous poop -- now what?

peanut&tofu

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
ok first time posting, here it goes..

Over the past week and a half, my juvenile (just under 1 year) Russian tort Tofu fell ill. Sleeping constantly, hiding, not eating, not even opening its eyes except for a bath time (but then would fall asleep in the water). I've been in a moderate panic. I've never had torts before and I got two rescue babies early 2022. So Tofu is very suddenly acting strange, and the sibling Peanut is being the same ol' chaotic goofball -- no changes in behavior or anything. I had them enclosed together because they still get along (for now) but after seeking advice from a local reptile shop, I separated them and gave Tofu some special care. More baths, warmth and a brand new uvb. But Tofu totally avoided all the light and warmth but I kept it going. So now for the POOP.....

Fast forward to today. I pick Tofu up for its daily bath and OH MY GOSH LOOK AT THIS GIANT POOP!!! Apparently Tofu swallowed a massive chunk of bark (and a strand of hair) and has been holding it in for over a WEEK. How did it get in??? How did it get out??? I am so confused, how do I prevent it from happening again?!! I'm concerned it wrecked guts on its journey. Tofu immediately went back to sleep and disregarded food just as before. No change in behavior, just dumped this nightmare poop and went back to sleep. What do I do???

For reference, Tofu is about 3" to 3.5" diameter. The bark is OVER 1". I can't even fathom how much of a relief that is for little baby.

Attachments

• tofusbigpoop.jpg
    tofusbigpoop.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome sorry to hear Tofu is under the weather.
Pictures of his enclosure and the lamps you use would help members work out if you could change anything to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Keep up the shallow luke/baby warm soaks to keep him hydrated - they can go a long time without food but need water and even if they don't drink they can absorb water via their vent; make sure he is warm enough.
This is the caresheet you need to check his temperatures and substrate etc are right
Does he wander around your house? Hair from humans or other animals is one of the many potential hazards found on floors that can cause problems for them.
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs so you are right to separate them to avoid dominance issues and aggression.
Was there any blood amongst his poop or around his vent?
I hope he's feeling better soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What Lyn W said and read and follow the caresheet. They both need a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure bigger is always better. If they don't have the correct temps, specially basking, they can't digest their food properly. Same with enough room to roam and keep insides moving and healthy. Roaming your floors is a bad thing if you let them do that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ok first time posting, here it goes..

Over the past week and a half, my juvenile (just under 1 year) Russian tort Tofu fell ill. Sleeping constantly, hiding, not eating, not even opening its eyes except for a bath time (but then would fall asleep in the water). I've been in a moderate panic. I've never had torts before and I got two rescue babies early 2022. So Tofu is very suddenly acting strange, and the sibling Peanut is being the same ol' chaotic goofball -- no changes in behavior or anything. I had them enclosed together because they still get along (for now) but after seeking advice from a local reptile shop, I separated them and gave Tofu some special care. More baths, warmth and a brand new uvb. But Tofu totally avoided all the light and warmth but I kept it going. So now for the POOP.....

Fast forward to today. I pick Tofu up for its daily bath and OH MY GOSH LOOK AT THIS GIANT POOP!!! Apparently Tofu swallowed a massive chunk of bark (and a strand of hair) and has been holding it in for over a WEEK. How did it get in??? How did it get out??? I am so confused, how do I prevent it from happening again?!! I'm concerned it wrecked guts on its journey. Tofu immediately went back to sleep and disregarded food just as before. No change in behavior, just dumped this nightmare poop and went back to sleep. What do I do???

For reference, Tofu is about 3" to 3.5" diameter. The bark is OVER 1". I can't even fathom how much of a relief that is for little baby.
Pet stores usually give terrible advice and sell you the wrong products.

Poop that size is not abnormal.

They did not get along and the long term chronic stress from living as a pair can have effects like what you are seeing, so its a great thing that you separated them.

Read that care sheet that Lyn linked and come back with all your questions.

peanut&tofu

Southern California
Hi and welcome sorry to hear Tofu is under the weather.
Pictures of his enclosure and the lamps you use would help members work out if you could change anything to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Keep up the shallow luke/baby warm soaks to keep him hydrated - they can go a long time without food but need water and even if they don't drink they can absorb water via their vent; make sure he is warm enough.
This is the caresheet you need to check his temperatures and substrate etc are right
Does he wander around your house? Hair from humans or other animals is one of the many potential hazards found on floors that can cause problems for them.
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs so you are right to separate them to avoid dominance issues and aggression.
Was there any blood amongst his poop or around his vent?
I hope he's feeling better soon.
thank you so much, I appreciate the honest help.
I am in the process of upgrading their enclosures, it seems like I should definitely change the substrate.
I let them wander sometimes, if I have the time to watch them. I don't have a yard or anywhere outdoors for them to play. this is good to know, I will have to get a larger enclosure asap.
From everything I had read thus far I thought they would be ok together until they were slightly older... there's so much information out there!
Lastly, he did have a pinkish urate a few days ago, but it was only that one time.

Thank you again for your help <3

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
thank you so much, I appreciate the honest help.
I am in the process of upgrading their enclosures, it seems like I should definitely change the substrate.
I let them wander sometimes, if I have the time to watch them. I don't have a yard or anywhere outdoors for them to play. this is good to know, I will have to get a larger enclosure asap.
From everything I had read thus far I thought they would be ok together until they were slightly older... there's so much information out there!
Lastly, he did have a pinkish urate a few days ago, but it was only that one time.

Thank you again for your help <3
There is a lot of old and incorrect information still being passed around by pet stores, social media. other tort websites and even some breeders and vets but you'll only get up to date advice here from keepers with decades of experience who thankfully help us avoid the old mistakes. Pictures will you get good feedback and tailor made advice.
Torts are solitary and territorial creatures who don't like sharing space etc and it's very stressful for them both which is when bullying starts even from a young age and it can be very subtle e.g. staring and following etc. So separation is kinder but they are each going to need a minimum of 4 x 8 feet as they grow.
Let us know how Tofu gets on and ask as many questions as you like - there are people here with more medical knowledge about torts than many vets so make this your first port of call when you need help or just to learn the right way to do things.