ACCIDENTAL EXPERIMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just wanted to share my observation. I had changed Tatums home to try and get better humidity. I purchased two large totes. I connected them with a tunnel. One side, side #1, has the MVB, CHE, no hide but moss for bedding/hiding and a personal humidifier. Temps mid 85 to 89 with basking 95. This side, has 90% humidity, VERY damp and misty. The other side, side #2, has a CHE, food, water bowl and a hide with the same moss in it and temps of 85 with one corner being 79. This side has humidity of 56% humidity, higher when it gets watered down. Both sides gets the coir substrate watered when needed as I have grass and weeds growing. Tatum chooses to sleep and spend approx. 90% of his time in side 1. Day time he goes to side 2 to eat and drink. He will walk around side 2 for a bit, will rest/sleep in the 79 degree corner for a bit, but will then head back to side 1. He does this at both feeding times, 7a.m. and again around 2-2:30p.m. I soak him around 6p.m. When I put him back, I will put him in side 2 by his food, incase he wants a snack before bed. He usually doesn't eat but will go back over to side 1, once in a while he sleep in side 2 but at some point in the night he returns to side 1. My observation of this, tells me they would rather spend most of there time in the higher humidity, damper conditions. Well at least Tatum would. For you that don't know, Tatum is a 9 month very cute leopard. When I got him, I was told to keep him hot and dry, :( So until I found this forum, and Tom's thread :D that's what I did. Well, as you can probably guess, he has some pyramiding :(:( His new growth has grown in smooth, but needed to do new home to make it easier to keep humidity up and higher. I know this isn't really an "experiment" but thought it was worth sharing :D Sorry this post is long.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We always say, "Learn from your tortoise!"

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Jiminey Cricket comes to mind from Disney's Pinnochio..."Always let your tortoise be your guide!"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good stuff Barb. Thanks for sharing what you are seeing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You won't believe this. Right after I posted this thread, I checked on Tatum. The humidifier had stopped working, I couldn't believe it. Luckily I got it back working again:D

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
That's very cool that he seems to be behaviorally adapted to seek out humid conditions :runs off to see if there are related academic studies: :D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
wellington said:
Just wanted to share my observation. I had changed Tatums home to try and get better humidity. I purchased two large totes. I connected them with a tunnel. One side, side #1, has the MVB, CHE, no hide but moss for bedding/hiding and a personal humidifier. Temps mid 85 to 89 with basking 95. This side, has 90% humidity, VERY damp and misty. The other side, side #2, has a CHE, food, water bowl and a hide with the same moss in it and temps of 85 with one corner being 79. This side has humidity of 56% humidity, higher when it gets watered down. Both sides gets the coir substrate watered when needed as I have grass and weeds growing. Tatum chooses to sleep and spend approx. 90% of his time in side 1. Day time he goes to side 2 to eat and drink. He will walk around side 2 for a bit, will rest/sleep in the 79 degree corner for a bit, but will then head back to side 1. He does this at both feeding times, 7a.m. and again around 2-2:30p.m. I soak him around 6p.m. When I put him back, I will put him in side 2 by his food, incase he wants a snack before bed. He usually doesn't eat but will go back over to side 1, once in a while he sleep in side 2 but at some point in the night he returns to side 1. My observation of this, tells me they would rather spend most of there time in the higher humidity, damper conditions. Well at least Tatum would. For you that don't know, Tatum is a 9 month very cute leopard. When I got him, I was told to keep him hot and dry, :( So until I found this forum, and Tom's thread :D that's what I did. Well, as you can probably guess, he has some pyramiding :(:( His new growth has grown in smooth, but needed to do new home to make it easier to keep humidity up and higher. I know this isn't really an "experiment" but thought it was worth sharing :D Sorry this post is long.

Excellent post and I think other tort-keepers can learn from it! :cool:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Terry Allan Hall said:
wellington said:

Excellent post and I think other tort-keepers can learn from it! :cool:
:):):)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will try. It is actually all set up in a closet that has the door removed and is in my living room. I will do my best though. I also have to wait until my hubby gets home as I don't know how to down load from the camera:( I will get some posted though.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is a great post, and shows you are watching your tort, what he likes, and adapting to it.
Your post was definitely NOT too long.
Looking forward to pics, will be helpful for others, because using two totes is inexpensive but allows for this creativity.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tate (2).JPGTate (4).JPGTate (5).JPGTate (9).JPGTate (19).JPGTate (2).JPG
This is a test run for posting pictures of Tatum's two tote enclosure. If it works, I will add more. Thanks for your patience. It worked :D

Attachments

• Tate (3).JPG
    Tate (3).JPG
    709.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Wow, looking forward to more pics. That is a great enclosure and very helpful for those who have torts needing higher humidity...or not, for that matter!
I think the best pic is your tort emerging from a tube with the word 'cowboy' on it. They are tough creatures, lol!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
lynnedit said:
Wow, looking forward to more pics. That is a great enclosure and very helpful for those who have torts needing higher humidity...or not, for that matter!
I think the best pic is your tort emerging from a tube with the word 'cowboy' on it. They are tough creatures, lol!

LOL :D I didn't even notice that. Too funny. The cup is one of those 7-11 Big Gulp Cups. I cut the bottom off of two of them and then fit one part way inside the other. They are my sons cups. He hasn't noticed them gone yet:p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is creative, but not by me:D I seen one very similar either on TFO or on another site when I was searching enclosures. This was his fourth enclosure since May of 2011, when I got him. I like it the best. Much easier to keep,temps and humidity. Also an easier way to keep some variety for him. Thank you to however first thought of this idea :D. Also thank you for all the nice comments. Feels really good to hear from others with more experience that your doing good things. :D

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Is that a fogger or a humidifer? Just wondering where you purchased it. Great idea....and yes, love that picture of him coming out of the tunnel. He is too cute and lucky to have such a great enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. It is a personal humidifier. I got it from Bed, Bath and Beyond. You can also use a repti fogger. I actually tried one before the humidifier, worked good except it only lasted about 2 weeks then quit. So I just went for a cheaper humidifier instead.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Thanks for the info..still love that tunnel picture. Can't wait to see more when he gets a little bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.