Acclimating a new Home's

Mikeg

10 Year Member!
Hey folks!

I have had experience with ibera greeks and I was recently at a show where lllreptile had a pair of kinixys homeana available. I did some quick research and decided to buy them. I know they are wild caught and I should not support this. However, I wanted a new species that stayed small and the price for the pair was unbeatable. Unfortunately, the male died the very next day, he wasnt healthy at all and probably the reason they were so cheap. My question for you guys, how have you acclimated your wildcaught individuals? Mine is extremely shy and I have only seen her eat twice (only when I offered the zoomed box turtle canned food). She hasn't lost weight, but in fact has gained weight since I acquired her. But for what I see her ingest, which is not much at all, I'm curious to know how I can make this easier and better for her. She will also spend two to three days in the same spot, tucked away in her shell. She is just so odd and reclusive compared to my greeks.

She is housed in a 5'x3' closed chamber system with two inches of organic top soil filled with earthworms and red worms, springtails, and isopods. I also have some leaf litter on the top layer. For plants I went with grape ivy, Boston fern, and a small jasmine bush. Water is available and deep enough for soaking. I have a 5.0 uvb tube and a ceramic heat emitter.

Attachments

• 1448749527154.jpg
    1448749527154.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 1448749545746.jpg
    1448749545746.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 34

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Habitat looks good, but too bright. I'd take out the UV light altogether for now.
What are your temps and humidity? These are key. Soak him as often as you can as well, at least for now.
In terms of getting him to eat, try mushrooms, papaya, figs, rocket, boiled chicken as a start

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
In addition, just give her time. Once she feels safe and secure, she well be more outgoing.

Is she in a quiet area?

Mikeg

10 Year Member!
Thanks for getting back to me guys. She is in my room which is quiet, except my dog can be a hassle sometimes. How long do you recommend i keep the lights off for? Her ambient temperature sits around 76 with a Hotspot of 82. And 70% humidity. No interest in mushrooms, yet. Going to try papaya and chicken tomorrow. Thank you again!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree with the time recommendation, they just need time 2 acclimate.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Wow, yeah. My two new have barely moved since being put in their enclosure.

Mikeg

10 Year Member!
Three months?! I guess I can rip those plants right out.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Keep natural light, that's fine, but your UV light is way,way too bright even for most established forest-type hingebacks. You might consider special LED lights however for the plants, they can be bought quite cheaply.

Mikeg

10 Year Member!
Ok that sounds like a better plan. Do you have any links of enclosures people have used for their hingebacks? Google can't show me much. And my brief scan on the species specific page hasn't brought much, either.