Acrocarpous & Pleurocapous Moss, Safe for Tortoises??

ChelonianKeeper

Location (City and/or State)
Southern New Jersey
Hello to all my fellow enthusiasts,
I reside in Southern New Jersey and use Sphagnum Moss as a substrate for my Redfoots. I'm looking to add some color, additional hiding places and humidity(which I know isn't necessary using Sphagnum). Here in S.J. we have a beautiful type of wild moss that grows in low lying areas and is very attractive in appearance. It is called Acrocarpous and Pleurocapous Moss, both of which I'd like to add to their enclosures. It retains moisture well and adds some green color to an otherwise brown Sphagnum moss substrate. It also allows them to easily burrow below it where it is "pieced" together. Now with all of that said, my concern is toxicity. I have know idea if they will eat it, but being green, I can't imagine that they won't at the very least nibble at it. Can anyone tell me if these mosses are in anyway toxic to Tortoises?? I have searched good ole Google but can not find a definitive answers to my question. Any input by you fine folks would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Thank you all,
Scott

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings

We have a ton of those nice green mosses here in Md too. When i had a large indoor enclosure for our box turtles, i had a bunch of this in there. The boxies seemed to ignore, never nibbled or ate.

ChelonianKeeper

Southern New Jersey
Ok, thank you for your input. I’m currently housing baby Redfoots and they tend to bite anything green. I certainly by no means want them to eat something toxic and have casualties, that would be devastating to me!!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ok, thank you for your input. I’m currently housing baby Redfoots and they tend to bite anything green. I certainly by no means want them to eat something toxic and have casualties, that would be devastating to me!!
Baby redfoots. OK. You really need to get some expert advice on this. I would not put it in the enclosure at all until you do. I do hope that it is OK since you really seem to like how it looks! But I would wait to hear some definite information.

ChelonianKeeper

Southern New Jersey
Thank you for your advice Tammy. I have done some expieramental trials by closely monitoring the Baby Redfoots when placed in front of the moss and 3 of them showed no interest. Not hardly a scientific study as they were well fed and had other greens in the enclosure to eat. I was hoping for what you suggested, someone with the proper knowledge to let me know if it is an acceptable substrate or poisonous. Thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't know why there is no further input from others here...But I still would not use it without knowing for sure.