Ad on my local yardsales website: Mud/box turtle hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Good morning everyone,

While perusing local ads for box turtles... I ran across one titled, "Hatchling Box Turtle-$100". Then the description reads, "50 cent piece size. The adult turtles seem intent on hurting it".

So.. I contacted them. They said the hatchling could be any type, possibly a hybrid of boxies because there are all different types in their backyard. They even said they have a mud/box turtle hybrid?!?!?! No way, right?

Anyways, they should be sending me a pic of the hatchling soon. I'm not looking for another one, and according to my husband... I'm at my limit :p. But this may be a special case since its in my neck of the woods...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, box turtles are cannibalistic and will eat the babies. If not fed a lot the babies will even eat each other. I hope you are able to save this special 'mud'y box turtle!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
The seller didn't seem to indicate that the hatchling for sale is a mud/box... But was surprised this person had one. Never heard of such a mix :/ he said the hatchling could be: Eastern, ornate, or ttb, OR a hybrid.... I asked for pics and asked how many toes were on its hind legs.

Ill keep y'all posted. I had let the seller know in my first message that they hatchling needed to be kept separate... But who knows.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Sounds like someone who thinks a mud turtle that can close up (because of their plastron hinge) must be a hybrid. I doubt it to the fullest but will be interested to see a picture

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
$100 is an awful lot for a hatchling box turtle.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
$100 is an awful lot for a hatchling box turtle.

I agree, it's crazy. I'm not paying $100. Was gonna offer less, or adopt.

Status
Not open for further replies.