Add new tortoise in with existing?

ReginaldSpikey

Location (City and/or State)
Parts Unknown
Hey guys,

So in my locale I am one of the few people to have rescued a star tortoise and to have safely bred it so long in the best possible conditions, Recently one of my acquittances spotted one in their garden and have been looking after it since, while they are trustworthy people who take heed of my advice well, they will be moving out of the house in a couple of days and are asking me to take the tortoise since a)they are as it is skittish around the animal and won't be able to give the care it deserves and b)They are being asked by their neighbors to give them the tortoise as they'd like to take care of it instead(something I believe they are doing out of superstitious reasons over wanting to genuinely take care of the animal, also they have a very aggressive dog at their place already)

I would ideally like to leave the animal in a forested area however covid lockdowns and constant thunderstorms in my area mean getting to those places will take much longer,in addition I am currently under a lot of workload and cannot take an entire day for doing the above.

My question is if I can (temporarily) house it with my current star tortoise, she has been with me for the past 10+ years and is entirely home-bred, will she face an hostility from the new tortoise or vice-versa, my enclosure is basically a garden that's about 30 by 40 feet in area(not heavily planted though, just a couple of rocks) so if their interactions do not go well is it possible that they will take up different corners of the garden

any advice would be most appreciated!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No.

Pairs don't work. . . fighting will ensue, but most importantly, quarantine is always required with new acquisition.

ReginaldSpikey

Parts Unknown
Would it be possible to keep them both in the same garden if I manage to build a barrier of sorts, also how long is quarantine recommended for the new addition?
Also I have seen people house multiple star tortoises in a single space, is that a bad practice or is it just that pairs are not recommended, even if they are of the same sex?