Addict Baby Sulcata Bubbles

Nexustortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Key West, Florida
Hey everyone,
today as I was on my way out the door I noticed sulcata baby (maybe 5-6months)had some bubbles forming around her mouth. I fed her a hibiscus flower this morning and I was hoping that maybe it was just sap or something stuck to her face. I soaked her for about 10 minutes and thats when I noticed more bubbles forming and some even coming out of her nose. Im very concerned as Ive heard bubbles can be a sign of respiratory infection. I live in key west florida and dont have access to a vet specializing in tortoise care.. if it is a RI what can I do to help her heal? Her temps and humidity seem to be within acceptable ranges, I mist her enclosure down at least once a day and feed her daily. She is still eating a pooping regularly and is active in her enclosure. The only thing I can think of is her food maybe, she has become addicted to mazuri tortoise pellets and will only eat the pellets, ignoring everything else I try to give her. and she will only eat them if theyre silghtly moist so she can actually break them down. How do I go about weening her off of the pellets? or is that fine while she's still small like this? The little piece of food shes eating in this picture fell off her slate tile, I put it back on there after I took the picture.

Attachments

• 20200713_135053.jpg
    20200713_135053.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200713_135010.jpg
    20200713_135010.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 16

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Her temps and humidity seem to be within acceptable ranges,

Having her in an open table almost guarantees that temps and humidity are not where they should be.

Cover as much of her table as you can. Use a shower curtain or a plastic tablecloth, or even aluminum foil. You have to keep in the heat and humidity. Where the lights are, find something solid to cover the table. Like a plastic bin lid. Cut holes just a bit smaller than your domes. Line the holes with several layers of aluminum foil, and set the lights on top. The foil should keep the plastic lid from melting, but keep a close eye on it. You need a thermometer/hygrometer to monitor the temp and humidity. The humidity in the entire enclosure needs to be above 80% all the time.

This is not the time for "seem to be ....acceptable". While she is sick you need to make her entire area 85°-90°. Her basking spot should be 100°. At no time, day or night, should any part of her enclosure drop below 85°.

You need to make these changes fast...your baby's life may depend on it.

Keep her in these conditions for another 2 weeks after all symptoms of RI are gone.

I wouldn't worry about her only eating Mazuri right now. After she's over the RI, make sure to come back and ask us about that again.

In the meantime, please read this care sheet. When she's finished with the RI, it gives you the proper temps she should be under when healthy.

Keep us posted, and if you have any questions.