Adding a new tortoise to the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

laidbackluxury

5 Year Member
[/size][/font]Hi everyone

I am new on the forum, so just want to take this opportunity to say to everyone.

[/font][size=medium]

I currently have 2 female Hermann tortoises aged 18 and 12 mths.

They live in a huge tortoise table with sand/soil substrate, rocks, hide etc with all appropriate heat lighting and uv lighting.

We would love to add to our little family and would like to know if this is possible? and would it be better to introduce males or keep with females to avoid fighting?

thanks

vic

Can someone please let me know about this asap?

thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Vic:

Welcome to the forum!!

I don't keep Hermann's tortoises, and don't know anything about them, but I can give you a "general" answer:

Its always best to have a quarantine period when adding a new tortoise to an existing group. And since you have to set up a quarantine habitat, you will already have a second habitat in case the tortoises don't get along when you put them all together. I don't know how aggressive the male Hermann's are. Some male tortoises just bother the females all the time, causing you to have to separate them. My suggestion would be, if you're not planning to breed them and raise babies, then get another female.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Generally speaking, most male Hermann's are constantly aggressive when in the presence of another Hermann's tortoise. Moreso during the spring and summer months when breeding is taking place. But also at anytime when light and heat in their environment may increase. The difference is the type of aggression. Males are territorially aggressive towards other males and sexually aggressive toward females. A dominant male will attack each with equal aggression, chasing them, biting at their limbs and ramming their shells. The difference is that with another male the dominant male will also often times attempt to overturn the opponent and is chasing him with the intent to run the intruder out of his territory. With a female the dominant male will go through nearly the same process with the exception of trying to overturn her. The intent of his "attacks" (biting & ramming) is to submit her, to get her to stop so that he can mount her and mate. He's trying to chase the male away and in the other case, keep the female from running away!

If you are considering adding a male it is always a good idea to keep at least two females with him in order to relieve each female of the constant aggression shown towards them by a male. Keeping two males together at any time unless in a very large area will likely result in one becoming seriously injured and/or highly stressed sooner or later.

Even female Hermann's can become dominant. Often when kept without a male present a female in a group will become the dominant member and display many of the aggressive characteristics of a male, including ramming, biting and mounting. Usually with much less "passion" than a male does. I've seen my own do this often and particularly during breeding season and just before nesting. Once a male is introduced that female almost always allows the male to become the aggressive member of the group.

At 12 & 18 months, none of that would be a concern for quite some time. Not until they become sexually mature at around 4-4.5" and up. Based on normal growth rate for that age, most Hermann's are not 100% clearly sexable yet. Often times with Hermann's and other Mediterranean tortoise species, what might appear to be females could be males (or females) that have not begun to develop yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.