addition to my tort yard......some might think its creepy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
here is a couple pics of my newest tort yard decor.... what do you think?
mod feel free to move if needed:D
DSCN0303.jpg

DSCN0300.jpg

DSCN0332.jpg

DSCN0302.jpg

DSCN0301.jpg

DSCN0304.jpg

i'll give some background if you want it and NO.... i'm not a grave robber!!!!:D

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
coreyc said:
Yep back ground please:D it is different :cool:
Well that didnt take long... ha ha,
I got these out of a basement that I think was a tomb stone makers in the early 1800's

each one is etched/ carved with paterns and borders and 2 of them are completely finished with names/ dates/ spouse info......very cool i thought
one is a lady that died in 1805 at 70 yrs of age!!!!! the other is a lady that died in 1834 at the age of 48.....I am amazed at the history and have had fun with them.... my wife worries about the spirits following me but i figure the spirit must be happier in my tort yard than in a dark disgusting basement.........
they are probably stones that had a mistake like a chip or something... i doubt they came from the burial site. but , who knows.....:shy:

ALDABRAMAN said:
I like the four-wheeler!

ha thanks, that was my baby before my kids took that position!!! she doesnt get used much anymore, just around the yard and to PLOW the driveway!!! ;)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
That good you cleared your name your not a grave robber :p old stones like that are nice all now by hand :cool:

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
It's just a little creepy. hahaha. I like the pic of him eating a dandelion! Their eyes are so humanly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think they're pretty neat. I couldn't read the inscriptions, but your explanation helped. I love history. When my husband was alive we took a m/c ride up to Hornitas (that's a ghost town purportedly where Juaquin Marietta used to hide out in the olden days) They have a wonderful grave yard. I could spend HOURS walking around and reading the stones!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Laura said:
you should research them a bit.. see if you can find out anything...

I did a quick search--She was born Temperance Davis,married Paul Hatch- 7 Jan 1748 or 23 Feb 1749 in Falmouth Ma ,Paul hatch died 7 feb 1802 in Maine and Temperance Hatch died in Bowdoinham Maine. Paul Hatch's parents were Thomas Hatch and Mary Cathcart. Len

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
And yet, it seems the torts don't care as long as there is food, what is another rock or two?
I think they are very cool.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Laura said:
you should research them a bit.. see if you can find out anything...

Would be nice, if you could research and find out where they were buried and then see about returning their headstones.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I think the are really cool. I saw an episode of Pickers where they found an old grave marker and were very excited. I think he said there is a market for them and it was worth a couple hundred bucks. I would research it. You could find out all kinds of exciting stuff:)

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
well i would return it if I new where it was from but I suspect it was a mistake stone judgeing by the way I found them (with a couple unfinished ones) each has a chipped letter or corner so I think they were not used in a graveyard but I thought it was cool what they represent..... naaa i wouldn't want to sell em... I do know of a place in my home town where there is a huge cemetery and the back hill of the cemetery has all kinds of head stones thrown over the bank that goes down to a stream.....old headstones all over the stream bottom and hillside due to some punk kids vandalizing (sp) the cemetery, I would never take any of those except to replace them in their right spots...... kinda sad

Status
Not open for further replies.