Adoptable Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

squirtle

Is anyone looking to adopt a tortoise in the San Diego area? I came across this ad and thought we could post anything like this we come across in case anyone is looking to rescue/adopt a tortoise in the area.

This guy is being sold by a lady who feeds him leafy greens and cat food, so he needs to be adopted by someone who knows what they are doing and can help him!!! She is asking $300.00.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/for/406569285.html

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
squirtle, im gonna move this thread to the adoptions forum and add "san diego" to the title, is that ok?

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I would shoot her an email and tell her to stop feeding the cat food and tortoise chow. Otherwise his pyramiding will get worse. I like your idea, you would have to ask Josh but you could probabley put it in the adoptions forum unless he wants to start a classified section.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
The tortoise is on wrong diet, pyramided and so on....
I would message her and say you should put Free to GOOD home.

S

squirtle

Cpx said:
The tortoise is on wrong diet, pyramided and so on....
I would message her and say you should put Free to GOOD home.

Sure Josh...move it on over I should have started it there! I don't even live in San Diego, I was just checking Pets on Craigslist. It thought it might be neat to post ads from different areas, so if people are interested they can look for one in their neck of the woods!

I did send her an email about the the diet....I haven't yet receieved a reply. It hasn't been relisted, so maybe she found him a home.

S

squirtle

jenrell23 said:
Let's hope she did with a knowledged tort home.

I hope so. I have come across people adopting out tortoises who want to see your yard and check your knoledge of the breed, and people who take the highest offer regardless of your experience.

Lately, there have been alot of tortoises, Sulcatas especially, at the Orange County Animal Shelter. There is a large, though pyramided(sp?) Sulcata there now to be raffled out tomorrow. I have gone to the raffles before....it is tough because they don't even know what breed the tortoise is, and people enter the drawing because the tortoise is cute. They have no idea what they require and how large they will get. The last one I went to, a lady won the drawing for a small Sulcata who went there to adopt a bird, and entered for the tortoise on a whim. Ouch!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yeah that is sad. RES and Sulcatas are the most overbred and unwanted animals right now. I see multiple posts a day for RES and Sulcattas, even some of the rescues are taking there adoption fee off just to find good homes for them. It's crazy and sad, I only wish I had more enclosures then I could take more in. This weekend I plan on redoing all of my outdoor enclosures, It will be a task but it will be nice when they are all done. I am going to build some temp ponds as well, then when I move I can build permanent ponds, and use the tempos for quaratine or what ever I need. My husband shakes his head but he knows it will not change.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
squirtle how can i adopt a tortoise from the orange county animal shelter? their website doesnt show any tortoises...

S

squirtle

josh said:
squirtle how can i adopt a tortoise from the orange county animal shelter? their website doesnt show any tortoises...

http://petadoption.co.orange.ca.us/animals/AdoptList.asp?type=Other

You are right! Someone must have claimed the Sulcata before the drawing tonight! They just have the Aquatic Turtle now. Watch the "Others" page because they do frequently have tortoises. In the past few months the have had Sulcatas, a box turtle, and a a few that I didn't recognize. If you find a tortoise you are interested in adopting, you just go down Wednesday evening, and check in at 5:00. They take your name and enter you into the drawing. Only one person per household is allowed to enter. Then at 5:30 they draw a name and you get to take the exotic pet you entered for!! They raffle of the turtles and tortoises, birds, and snakes this way. The adoption fee is minimal....$14?$17? I cannot remember, but it is very low.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
thanks for the tips ;)

S

squirtle

josh said:
thanks for the tips ;)

You are welcome! As I am somewhat close to you, I will keep my eyes open for tortoises you might be interested in. Are you looking for a Desert Tortoise?

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
thanks squirtle! i'd prefer a DT... yah.

S

squirtle

josh said:
thanks squirtle! i'd prefer a DT... yah.

Anyone looking for a tortoise in the Valley...Chatsworth, CA
get_image.jpg
For more information about this animal, call:
West Valley Animal Care and Control Center at (888) 452-7381
Ask for information about animal ID number A896222
www.petharbor.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I built a large enclosure to take in these rescues in need. As soon as I was ready.. I heard nothing.. Do I contact the shelters and get put on a list? Im near Sacramento calif.

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
laura, check your local county animal shelter. also check local tortoise groups like the CTTC. both these resources will probably have plenty of tortoises that need a happy new home

Status
Not open for further replies.