Adopted this poor girl today...

Keith D.

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi all, I adopted this poor girl today, at least we think its a girl lol, its plastron is flat not concaved. Anyway I have no idea how she was raised and how she got so bad, well I know how she got that bad technically lol. I am tryingbto figure out what species she is and thought I would come to y'all for some help lol. The person who had her, had her in a tiny 10gallon tank where she couldn't even move and she was sitting outside on the lawn under a tree. Anyway I saw her as I was driving by and was like, oh hell no. So I turned around, called the sherrif, told them the situation they called the ASPCA and both the sherrif and a ASPCA officer was there in 5 min. So then I told them I was going to seize the tortoise and they said go ahead. The so called owner came running out and started to yell and scream saying that I couldn't take that turtle, the silly lady didn't even know the difference between a tortoise and a turtle. Anyway the Sherrie and the ASPCA officer told her to back away, the tortoise is being seized and if she keeps pushing she will have charges placed on her, and of course she kept going, the sherrif restrained her after she pushed me while placing the tortoise in my truck. So now the lady has been arrested and has fellony animal cruelty charges along with assault charges, the ASPCA officer went into her back yard and she had a very badly emaciated pit bull chained up. I hate for things to happen like that but I can't stand by and see a tortoise or any animal for that matter abused like that. Oh and I spoke with her neighbors and the tortoise has been in that tank by the tree for months. I took her to the ASPCA station and they gave me a free vet evaluation and all her organs were OK, maybe some MBD but not sure without xrays. So then I gave her a soak and scrub at the ASPCA station and then rubbed her down with EVCO, ya I had to buy another jar for my dogs earlier so had it in the truck lol oh and she had mites so instead of using a insecticide type mite killer I used the EVCO, it worked like a charm. Vet said she is mite free now :) I got her home gave her another soak and scrub which she drank for like 10minutes and when I gave her the first soak she drank for like 15min or so, I feel so bad for her being treated that way but at least she is with me now where she will be taken care of appropriately. OK back to figuring out what species she is, please help me lol. I am thinking sulcata or dessert not positive though.

received_942870232441975.jpeg received_942870195775312.jpeg received_942870299108635.jpeg received_942870162441982.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Wow. Great save and find. I am not good at identification. I am sure someone will be around shortly. Good thing you did for this poor thing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, poor thing is right. It looks like a very under weight sulcata. But I'm not 100%. @Tom or @Yvonne G will be able to confirm. She really needs some good living, food and room to roam.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Keith D.

Arizona
Where are you? That looks like a desert tortoise. Gopherus agassizii.

I wrote this for russians, but the care and diet is basically the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Here is a good way to house it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

I would soak that poor tortoise daily for at least a couple of months and then taper down to two or thee times a week in summer.
I'm in SW AZ, I was thinking she was a DT but wasn't sure, either way I def will be soaking her daily no doubt about that lol. Who knows where this lady got her, if its wild caught or captive bred idk. All I know is she now has a loving forever home that will give her everything she needs and deserves :)

Keith D.

Arizona
Where are you? That looks like a desert tortoise. Gopherus agassizii.

I wrote this for russians, but the care and diet is basically the same:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Here is a good way to house it:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/

I would soak that poor tortoise daily for at least a couple of months and then taper down to two or thee times a week in summer.
Dang y'all with these beautiful Russians makes me want to adopt a baby really badly lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dang y'all with these beautiful Russians makes me want to adopt a baby really badly lol

I'm sure you know this, but be sure to keep the dogs and tortoise away from each other. Domestic dogs are probably the single greatest threat to captive tortoises and it doesn't matter how sweet, nice or well trained your dog is. NEVER leave them alone. Not for one single second.

Keith D.

Arizona
I'm sure you know this, but be sure to keep the dogs and tortoise away from each other. Domestic dogs are probably the single greatest threat to captive tortoises and it doesn't matter how sweet, nice or well trained your dog is. NEVER leave them alone. Not for one single second.
Ya when the torts are outside getting there sun, the dogs are put up inside, and the torts had a constant human standing or sitting a feet away to keep a close eye on them.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Hi all, I adopted this poor girl today, at least we think its a girl lol, its plastron is flat not concaved. Anyway I have no idea how she was raised and how she got so bad, well I know how she got that bad technically lol. I am tryingbto figure out what species she is and thought I would come to y'all for some help lol. The person who had her, had her in a tiny 10gallon tank where she couldn't even move and she was sitting outside on the lawn under a tree. Anyway I saw her as I was driving by and was like, oh hell no. So I turned around, called the sherrif, told them the situation they called the ASPCA and both the sherrif and a ASPCA officer was there in 5 min. So then I told them I was going to seize the tortoise and they said go ahead. The so called owner came running out and started to yell and scream saying that I couldn't take that turtle, the silly lady didn't even know the difference between a tortoise and a turtle. Anyway the Sherrie and the ASPCA officer told her to back away, the tortoise is being seized and if she keeps pushing she will have charges placed on her, and of course she kept going, the sherrif restrained her after she pushed me while placing the tortoise in my truck. So now the lady has been arrested and has fellony animal cruelty charges along with assault charges, the ASPCA officer went into her back yard and she had a very badly emaciated pit bull chained up. I hate for things to happen like that but I can't stand by and see a tortoise or any animal for that matter abused like that. Oh and I spoke with her neighbors and the tortoise has been in that tank by the tree for months. I took her to the ASPCA station and they gave me a free vet evaluation and all her organs were OK, maybe some MBD but not sure without xrays. So then I gave her a soak and scrub at the ASPCA station and then rubbed her down with EVCO, ya I had to buy another jar for my dogs earlier so had it in the truck lol oh and she had mites so instead of using a insecticide type mite killer I used the EVCO, it worked like a charm. Vet said she is mite free now :) I got her home gave her another soak and scrub which she drank for like 10minutes and when I gave her the first soak she drank for like 15min or so, I feel so bad for her being treated that way but at least she is with me now where she will be taken care of appropriately. OK back to figuring out what species she is, please help me lol. I am thinking sulcata or dessert not positive though.

View attachment 140535 View attachment 140536 View attachment 140537 View attachment 140538
Good for you getting that tort out of that situation! I would probably be in jail had it been me there :mad:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it's a gopher tortoise the heads a dead giveaway. it's a very very dark one. It needs lots of natural sunshine