Adopted this poor girl today...

Prairie Mom

You actually save TWO animals...the tortoise and the dog! I'm really proud of you and so grateful the authorities took immediate action. This doesn't happen everywhere. Today was a good day in the animal world!

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
Beautiful little tort,She looks like she could just crawl out of her shell,
so glad she's safe now.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
You actually save TWO animals...the tortoise and the dog! I'm really proud of you and so grateful the authorities took immediate action. This doesn't happen everywhere. Today was a good day in the animal world!

You did save two. Sounds like that pit needed you to stop as much as the tortoise, and I hope it finds as much love as that sweet baby girl you brought home.

You win the rockstar award today! Good deeds, good karma, and good luck with your new little friend :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi all, I adopted this poor girl today, at least we think its a girl lol, its plastron is flat not concaved. Anyway I have no idea how she was raised and how she got so bad, well I know how she got that bad technically lol. I am tryingbto figure out what species she is and thought I would come to y'all for some help lol. The person who had her, had her in a tiny 10gallon tank where she couldn't even move and she was sitting outside on the lawn under a tree. Anyway I saw her as I was driving by and was like, oh hell no. So I turned around, called the sherrif, told them the situation they called the ASPCA and both the sherrif and a ASPCA officer was there in 5 min. So then I told them I was going to seize the tortoise and they said go ahead. The so called owner came running out and started to yell and scream saying that I couldn't take that turtle, the silly lady didn't even know the difference between a tortoise and a turtle. Anyway the Sherrie and the ASPCA officer told her to back away, the tortoise is being seized and if she keeps pushing she will have charges placed on her, and of course she kept going, the sherrif restrained her after she pushed me while placing the tortoise in my truck. So now the lady has been arrested and has fellony animal cruelty charges along with assault charges, the ASPCA officer went into her back yard and she had a very badly emaciated pit bull chained up. I hate for things to happen like that but I can't stand by and see a tortoise or any animal for that matter abused like that. Oh and I spoke with her neighbors and the tortoise has been in that tank by the tree for months. I took her to the ASPCA station and they gave me a free vet evaluation and all her organs were OK, maybe some MBD but not sure without xrays. So then I gave her a soak and scrub at the ASPCA station and then rubbed her down with EVCO, ya I had to buy another jar for my dogs earlier so had it in the truck lol oh and she had mites so instead of using a insecticide type mite killer I used the EVCO, it worked like a charm. Vet said she is mite free now :) I got her home gave her another soak and scrub which she drank for like 10minutes and when I gave her the first soak she drank for like 15min or so, I feel so bad for her being treated that way but at least she is with me now where she will be taken care of appropriately. OK back to figuring out what species she is, please help me lol. I am thinking sulcata or dessert not positive though.

View attachment 140535 View attachment 140536 View attachment 140537 View attachment 140538

It takes some pretty awful care to grow a desert tortoise like that. Thank goodness you have it now.

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I'm so glad you discovered her and were able to get help from the Sheriff's Department to rescue her. Great job!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A wonderful gesture from your part.

Congrats!:)

The poor thing looks sick.:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The tortoise may be a bit too young yet to tell the gender. Desert tortoises are sometimes pretty hard to distinguish at a young age, and yours is young.

starsong96

Virginia
Be sure to keep us updated! So glad you saved her, looks like the poor thing has never seen a day of sunlight :(

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I can hardly believe you were able to notice this tortoise. You knew enough to know that this tortoise was in real bad shape. A dead giveaway is the dark shell and pyramiding. I've seen many sulcatas with all dark carapace. I immediately tell the owner to get the tortoise outside for some natural sunlight! Chances are that if an owner is neglecting one of their animals, there are often more that they own that are abused and neglected. Good for you!!! And, you were so wise to call the sheriff before you attempted to take the tortoise. Keep us posted as to the actual penalties the previous owner gets, if you can. Oh, and I can definitely agree, she"s a Desert Gopher, not a sulcata.

Last edited: