Adopting a Russian in Florida--Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberspooky

5 Year Member
Hello! I'm new here.

For quite awhile, I've wanted to add a Russian to our family. I've been wary, though, since we live in Florida and I've always been concerned about the humidity, etc.

Perusing Craigslist, I found a one year-old male who has lived outside in a terrarium with a hardwire mesh top. It's very large and it looks like they've been taking excellent care of him. He's accustomed to living outdoors in his enclosure. It has ample room to burrow and they add hay and a lamp in the winter for warmth. The terrarium is always in partial sun during the day.

Is it okay to just recreate those issues at my home? He's been in the Florida climate without any humidity interventions for quite some time. I know people say that captive-bred tortoises adapt much better than wild caught--does the same hold true re: acclimation?

I'm experienced with reptiles, but not to Russians, so I'm asking to make sure this is a good fit. After seeing his lovely setup, I'd hate to hamper his lifestyle by bringing him indoors in a , by necessity, much smaller enclosure than he's living in right now. Are the effects of humidity more acute or long-term?

He appears healthy and happy. Very social. They're moving and unable to bring him to a new apartment.

Are there natural humidity modifiers I could add near the habitat? Any plants that suck humidity out of the air or anything? A substrate that would be better? Right now he's on a sand/soil mix. It's probably most cost effective since he's in a 6'x4' area.

Just want to make sure I do right by this tort. I'm not sure I'd buy one knowing that Florida isn't ideal, but since he already lives here...

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Why would you want to suck the humidity out of the air? Florida is ideal for any Tortoise, and there are MANY successful Russian breeding groups living and producing offspring in all regions of the State. As with any Tortoise, keeping them perpetually wet will kill them. Humidity will not...

J REED

5 Year Member
Is it in Pensacola? I seen it as well..I live 8n Fairhope Alabama just 40 mins north of there.

Jeremy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Duplicating the habitat of his original owner is ok, but what would be even better would be for you to build him a safe and secure outdoor habitat.

Uberspooky

5 Year Member
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello and welcome to the TFO

Thank you all for your responses and welcomes.

I had just read a lot online about people saying to keep Russians in Florida is borderline abuse, blah, blah, and while I know that's an overstatement, I did want to see what I could do to mitigate the humidity if need be. A lot of people referenced respiratory issues, but it just seemed a little alarmist to me. I know Russians are bred and sold all over Florida and my vet didn't seem concerned.

His current outdoor habitat seems very safe. It locks and has plenty of ventilation and access to sunshine. I am converting a sandbox (one of the big turtle ones, no less, lol) into an outdoor play yard by burying an exercise pen to ten inches. That way he can be on grass (the sandbox is for burrowing) and get more direct sunlight several hours of day. At night, I plan on keeping him in a large rubbermaid tub with a night light and reptibark substrate. Does that all sound good? Any suggestions?

It's been a long time since I've owned a tortoise. I had quite a few when I was younger, including a eastern box that had been hit by a lawnmower and had a fifth of his shell missing. Nursed him back to health over many years. They're wonderful creatures and I'm excited to be getting back into it. This site seems like a wonderful resource. Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). RI usually comes when a tortoise is cold with high humdity. Hot and humid is usually they way for most torts. Cold and humid makes for a sick tort.

Uberspooky

5 Year Member
One other question: the tortoise is one year old and the owner says it hibernated this last year. I had always been told they shouldn't be allowed to hibernate until they're much older. Is he likely to have suffered any effects from this? It was a fairly mild Florida winter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely not. It usually isn't recommended to brumate (hibernate) them the first year you own them. You don't know enough about his behavior, etc. better to give yourself a year to be sure he is healthy. Also, they don't have to brumate at all if you don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.