Adopting a yellow belly slider with shell issues

ulrichsd

Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
So I keep both freshwater/saltwater fish and aquatic frogs, but have never owned a turtle.

Our neighborhood Facebook group had someone looking to give theirs away so I went to check it out. It is about 12" and they said he is 8 years old. They said that they got him a year ago from someone keeping it in a 30 gallon aquarium, but they are now keeping it in a baby pool with two koi/goldfish that they added for food but were never eaten. They do have a UVB light and filter/heater. I am going to start looking on Craigslist to find a suitable aquarium for the poor guy.

Looking at it I think it has shell rot and/or shell fungus. He did say that the shell has shed some.

I'm going to pick him up this Wednesday and am wondering If I should take it to a vet or try to treat it on my own first?

I'm including a picture... Thanks for any advice you can offer.
20190630_125850.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That is a type of Cooter, not a slider. Aquariums are too small for them. Instead go for a stock tank or preformed pond. His shell is a little beat up but I wouldn't worry about a VET unless he isn't active or won't eat. This is my small setup for aquatic turtles, maybe give you some ideasIMG_20190630_201630009.jpg

ulrichsd

Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Toddrick for the info and good to know exactly what kind of turtle it is :) I have a 125 gallon aquarium right now but it is full of African cichlids. Was thinking I could try to get another one, but if a pond or stock container type set up would work better, I can definitely go that route.

I've included another picture with the current setup, currently housed in a 4' diameter baby pool.

Thanks!
ScottUntitled.jpeg

ulrichsd

Cincinnati, OH
Just an update, I bought a larger 5' kiddie pool and built a stand for it this last week. Still need to put an exterior that will go a foot above the table to keep the turtle in and keep our dogs out. For now though the water level is low enough that he can't get our.

Also hoping you can help identify what type of copter I have? Included ventral and dorsal photos.

Thanks!!20190711_212000_HDR.jpeg20190711_211904.jpeg