Adult Bearded Dragon Help

SulcataAmy

5 Year Member
So I got an adult bearded dragon in September, and I have been running into some problems. He has been worrying me al lot lately. He has been eating fine but his poop has been bad. I took him to see a vet a couple weeks ago, but not much has changed since then. Today he was acting weirder then usual. He started running into the side of his enclosure. I have never seen him do this before. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9257 (1).jpg
    IMG_9257 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tell us more about the diet, your four temps, UV source and where you are.

SulcataAmy

5 Year Member
His diet consists of: zucchini, squash, collard green, occasionally bok choy, and crickets( about 60 a week).
I didn't know there had to be four so he has: a warm basking area(~90F-95F) and his cooler side(70F)
I have similar set up that I use for my sulcata- a long uvb lamp and then a bulb for heat.
I live in Texas.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
His diet consists of: zucchini, squash, collard green, occasionally bok choy, and crickets( about 60 a week).
I didn't know there had to be four so he has: a warm basking area(~90F-95F) and his cooler side(70F)
I have similar set up that I use for my sulcata- a long uvb lamp and then a bulb for heat.
I live in Texas.

What type of substrate are you running? Loose or solid flat surface? I would be sure that your basking side is more like 110-120 and your cooler side is closer to 85ish...and no night temps too much below 65ish....if you have an adult he should actually be eating about 40+ crickets each day along with supplemental greens...even though they like the greens a bit more as they age...they still will eat a healthy dose of crickets each day....does he have a hide spot/area? Where did you acquire the beardie from?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Texas.

You need more variety and more fiber in the greens. Here are some of the things he should be eating:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole. Also use turnip, mustard and collard greens, cilantro, carrot tops, celery tops, etc. I would make lettuce a very small part of the diet.

Mixing Mazuri tortoise chow or ZooMed Grassland tortoise food with these grocery store greens will improve their nutritional value for your beardie tremendously.

Also, are you dusting your crickets? Gut loading? Ever feed any other insects?

I agree your temps need to be warmer all around.

Which type of UV bulb is it? 5.0? 10.0? And how far from the lizard is it?

SulcataAmy

5 Year Member
He has alfafa pellets
We got him from River City Exotics.
I dust the crickets and that's the only insect he eats. The crickets are fed Orange Cube.
I am not sure on the type but the picture shows how far the rock is from the light.

Attachments

• IMG_9262.jpg
    IMG_9262.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had no idea I was doing this all wrong:(

Not all wrong. Just need a few tweaks to make things a little better.

I think that substrate is okay for beardies.

I can't tell what type of bulb that UV tube is from your pic. There are many types. If it is not an "HO" tube, then it is too far from your lizard for him to get any benefit from it. he screen filters out even more.

Where are you? If it is still warm where you are, you can sun him outside in a wire cage to meet his UV needs. Just make sure there is ALWAYS plenty of shade and monitor the temps outside very carefully. If this is not an option for you, you will need to figure the best way to get him the needed UV. In your case an HO florescent tube will work and so will a mercury vapor bulb if you want heat, light and UV all in one.

SulcataAmy

5 Year Member
It is not warm enough this time of year. I moved him closer to the lights.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I missed this when it was first posted - you might try adding a little nutri-bac to his food, its a supplement you can order online. it really helped my Beardie who had nasty poops most of his adult life. I also found that pumpkin helped firm him up. He battled chronic impaction and reoccurring parasite infections so keeping him regular was difficult.

You may also want to reconsider the alfalfa pellets as a substrate. They are really hard to keep clean and they can encourage mold growth where he wets. I used slate tile, laminate, shelf liner, etc for my guy along with big rocks and sticks to give him climbing and basking areas. My guy WAS housed on play sand when I got him until I realized he had been eating mouthfuls of it. Beardies are greedy.

I also found that soaking every 3rd day usually encouraged him to poo in the bath water so I wasn't poop scooping his cage. THAT was great.

Best of luck with your little guy.

SulcataAmy

5 Year Member
Thank you for all the help! I will be working on adjusting his diet, soaking schedule, and definitely the substrate!
Thanks!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
HA! I thought I was the only weirdo that soaks his lizards. Good to know I'm not alone! :)

Omnivore poop is nasty! Zola didn't even like being around it so he would hold it until I threw him in the bath or out on the lawn. For about 7 years we didn't have an accidents aside from when I would be out of town for extended periods. I'm lucky like that, our cat refuses to use a litter box as well, she will only go outdoors.

1915001_406766167733_5161478_n.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Beardie poo is some of the worst I've ever smelled and I work with big cats, apes and all kinds of animals with foul smelling poo. Nothing is worse than beardie poo!

Years ago I did a photo shoot with Leonardo DiCaprio when he was just a teenage boy. He brought his beardie along and it let loose all over this fancy white pool chair. Stunk up the whole yard. He was really embarrassed so I'm helped him clean it up.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I had 2 Indo blue tongues and they were stinky too, but I still agree that the beardie was the worst, just a step up from the smell of a dog with parvo. *gag*