Adult dry raised sully result !

Reptilony

Location (City and/or State)
QC, CAN
I saw in real life what a dry raised sully looks like at my local pet shop. They keep him in an enclosure not bigger than 10 times it's own size with a poor leopard.
I saw the sully drag the little one all across the enclosure putting all it's weight on him. Pretty violent...Im surprised it's shell did not crack yet, tough tort! And I wonder how many times a day this happen. The 5 min I was there the sully was trying to escape by walking against the wall and I know he does that all day because every time I go there he does that. As you can see they live only on hay and for some reason they have no uvb or heat source. His shell is completly deformed. And no need to say how DRY the whole thing is and I bet they never soaked them once. I wish they died sooner from all this, they are stuck in tortoise hell and there's nothing I can do. Oh...I almost forgot, there are freaking macaw's living there and probably pooping on them all the time. Almost the entire care sheet is wrong, It says that they must be kept dry and that leopard will weight 100lbs. 20180821_101314.jpeg20180821_101310.jpeg20180821_101305.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I HATE that I just saw this... this kills me. [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Reptilony

QC, CAN
That’s the worst part...They don’t want to sell they are just to show...I asked them why do you have a sulcata in here they said they tried to give it to a zoo but because it was a male the zoo did not wanted him so they decided to keep him. I think the leopard is in the worst position tho. People on this forum freak out when they drop their tort a little, this little guy is getting beat up all day every day by a giant sulcata who has actually not choice but to walk on him.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
That's very unfortunate. Looks like a combination of many factors, not just dryness. Goes to show how hardy tortoises can be.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
I know...I should have said poor care results. Maybe if I proposed them a certain amount of money for it it might work but then what do I do with him?? Not many people here can take care of an adult sully.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I know...I should have said poor care results. Maybe if I proposed them a certain amount of money for it it might work but then what do I do with him?? Not many people here can take care of an adult sully.

Possibly. Like you said it's a huge responsibility to care for a Sulcata.

Situations like this happen all the time, but just don't meet the eye. It reminds me of my local pet shop, in which there was an adult Sulcata living in a small enclosure, maybe 6' x 3'.

It's ironic that so many pet shops or large chains (Petsmart, Petco, etc) have little knowledge about keeping tortoises.

(Not to discredit all pet shops. I'm sure there are many places where excellent care is given.)

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Yes.When I was young I liked pet shops very much, now I realise they are like a black market selling wild caught tortoises and not giving the care they need and giving bad advice to people so they can make easy$$. People should not buy any tort in a pet shop in my opinion, boycott this fraud. There are good breeders out there...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like the sulcata's shell was burned by his light sometime in the past.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have you tried talking to them? Explaining things you've learned here?

Reptilony

QC, CAN
No I have not they would be so pissed. I’ve already tried with different animals and you see they don’t listen to you because you’re just a customer. Next time I go there, I’ll still try to talk to them about it. The thing is, they don’t have more space. It’s a small pet shop near a big street. The best thing I could probably do is try to show them this forum. I also tought of sending a letter to the boss. This way they could read what I have to say without feeling attacked and I could explain myself better. Also, an dult sulcata does not belong in pet shop but they think it’s the only option because they’ve already tried to give it to a zoo without sucess. I would ultimatly need someone here willing to take care of it in the first place.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I think a letter is a great idea! You could provide written proof to back your explanations and they wouldn’t be able to argue that. They may choose to ignore it but some effort is better than no effort!

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Yes it’s in Can. I think im gonna write a letter, give it to the boss next time I go...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can at least get them to get the leopard away from the sully.
You may also want too call an animal rescue or what organizations you might have that care about the well being of animals. This is animal cruelty.
Anything you can do too help the poor animals.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
So is it okay if I would join care sheets and usefull posts to this letter? I need some kind of backup I can’t convince them just being a guy who knows a couple things about tortoises.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
The problem with reporting pet shops for tortoise animal cruelty is that there is no specific universal set of requirements for housing tortoises of any breed. The general public isn't informed enough to know any better. And like many members in this forum and others like it; they initially have no idea of who to believe.

Many of the larger organizations as well as animal practices are still being taught to recommend sand substrates and low humidity conditions. Even if you were to present pet owners with scholarly articles, the chances of getting a pet shop owner to spend the amount of money needed to properly house their existing and future tortoise specimens is very slim. The same can said about breeders that are still practicing outdated care methods. They have no need to change their ways because in their minds, there's no downside in continuing what they have been doing all along.

You can take a copy of the thread about inter-species housing to the pet shop and he or she may turn around and show you a YouTube video about some supposed animal expert doing the very same thing on their channel.

I've reported several pet shop owners to the ASPCA, the humane society, local animal control, and local animals shelters in the past with no success. In my experience, it's more likely for a pet shop owner to go out of business than for them to completely revamp their business practices. Good luck with your crusade.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
This is so sad.
I think your idea about a letter and attaching caresheets is a good one. And you mentioned making sure they don't feel attacked... I think that will be very key in getting the tortoises help. Nothing will change if the people just get defensive and angry. Be super diplomatic and kind. So good of you to help those poor creatures!