Adult enclosure size

Location (City and/or State)
San Marcos TX
Hello I just wanted to reach out too see what some folks might think. I have 2750 square foot enclosure I’m working on for adult enclosure. How many adult MEE would live happily in that space?

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
That is a very large single enclosure. MEE are not particularly aggressive species and others do well with large groups housed together, including multiple males. If your aim is breeding however you should consider splitting the enclosure up and keeping them in smaller groups of say 2 females and one male.
I say this because females defend their nests and if there is no appropriate place for them to build up a nest they are able to defend, they may either not lay, or not bother building the nest at all, laying somewhere the eggs will immediately get trampled.

San Marcos TX
That is a very large single enclosure. MEE are not particularly aggressive species and others do well with large groups housed together, including multiple males. If your aim is breeding however you should consider splitting the enclosure up and keeping them in smaller groups of say 2 females and one male.
I say this because females defend their nests and if there is no appropriate place for them to build up a nest they are able to defend, they may either not lay, or not bother building the nest at all, laying somewhere the eggs will immediately get trampled.
I’m a little confused , you said do put 2 females and 1 male but then say if there’s not enough space. They won’t nest. I don’t plan on breeding them but if it happens I’d be elated. I’m just wanting to make sure I give them ample space. It seems some keep the adults in like 20x40 five or take spaces. But I just want to give the space I have available if they need it

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
Right, I was suggesting small groups, rather than 20 in one enclosure as some do for breeding operations.

You have a very large amount of space for a single enclosure. With several hides, and much vegetation and water, I can tell you that 3 would be very comfortable, more if you desire.
I have to convert to sq meters I'm afraid, but I think you have approx 250m2.

For perspective, my group of 3 have somewhere around 36m2 which I honestly did not think would be enough, but I have changed my mind on that and stopped letting them out into a larger area as they were not using it and it was less secure.

I think they have forgotten about the outside world. They do not pace the perimeter, just move between their favourite spots or do some forraging. They are growing at an astounding rate, and although they are tortoises, the best I can tell they are happy and thriving.

I would certainly like bigger, but if I had 250m2 of secure land I could dig up and plant on I would definitely feel that 100m would be sufficient for my 3 and use the rest of the area for something else.

San Marcos TX
Right, I was suggesting small groups, rather than 20 in one enclosure as some do for breeding operations.

You have a very large amount of space for a single enclosure. With several hides, and much vegetation and water, I can tell you that 3 would be very comfortable, more if you desire.
I have to convert to sq meters I'm afraid, but I think you have approx 250m2.

For perspective, my group of 3 have somewhere around 36m2 which I honestly did not think would be enough, but I have changed my mind on that and stopped letting them out into a larger area as they were not using it and it was less secure.

I think they have forgotten about the outside world. They do not pace the perimeter, just move between their favourite spots or do some forraging. They are growing at an astounding rate, and although they are tortoises, the best I can tell they are happy and thriving.

I would certainly like bigger, but if I had 250m2 of secure land I could dig up and plant on I would definitely feel that 100m would be sufficient for my 3 and use the rest of the area for something else.
Thanks for clarifying, I may cut enclosure in half Or +/- then and add another species like Burmese stars. My 3 are still wee babies. So the enclosure area is going to have a good amount of time growing out. Pretty excited to have these babies

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...and add another species like Burmese stars.
I can help you with that! I've got dozens of babies from 6 different females for sale right now. A group of 5-6 Burmese stars would be quite content in 500-1000 sq. feet, and that would leave the rest for your much larger Mee. What a fantastic yard that will make. Wow.