Adult in a high humidity environment?

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
south Texas
Hey y'all, I have been considering adding a Greek tortoise to the family. I know the babies do well in a higher humidity environment... however as they are native to a more arid climate, would it be appropriate to house an adult outdoors in a humid climate? I live in coastal south Texas, a naturally hot, humid environment - very similar to southern Florida or Mexico tropics, but slightly less humid.

Thanks for the input!!!

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
South Texas, excellent. I live South of San Antonio, so in the general region, I figure. I've kept a Turkish ibera outdoors here for years, and he has done just fine. Make sure he has an insulated, protected shelter when he is outside, preferably one under the shade of a tree. Mine is positioned so that the morning sun hits the entrance of his shelter, which rouses him bright and early. The afternoon sun, however, hits the red oak tree that overhangs the shelter, which ensures the shelter is around eighty degrees tops during the August inferno. Also, understand that not all Greeks will do well in our environment. Turkish ibera live on a penninsula and are, therefore, accustomed to some degree of humidity and regular rainfall. I've never kept any Jordanian or Iranian specimens, nor have I kept North African Greeks, so I couldn't speak to them, but if your aim is to acquire an ibera, I can tell you that they generally do well down here. Also, I would advise getting a baby. Adults are generally wild caught and don't adjust very well. If you can find a local animal that is either captive raised or a longterm captive, that would be the best of all worlds, but yes, raising a baby in this climate will allow the animals to do best.

T.G.

KrissyLeigh

Today is my birthday!
south Texas
South Texas, excellent. I live South of San Antonio, so in the general region, I figure. I've kept a Turkish ibera outdoors here for years, and he has done just fine. Make sure he has an insulated, protected shelter when he is outside, preferably one under the shade of a tree. Mine is positioned so that the morning sun hits the entrance of his shelter, which rouses him bright and early. The afternoon sun, however, hits the red oak tree that overhangs the shelter, which ensures the shelter is around eighty degrees tops during the August inferno. Also, understand that not all Greeks will do well in our environment. Turkish ibera live on a penninsula and are, therefore, accustomed to some degree of humidity and regular rainfall. I've never kept any Jordanian or Iranian specimens, nor have I kept North African Greeks, so I couldn't speak to them, but if your aim is to acquire an ibera, I can tell you that they generally do well down here. Also, I would advise getting a baby. Adults are generally wild caught and don't adjust very well. If you can find a local animal that is either captive raised or a longterm captive, that would be the best of all worlds, but yes, raising a baby in this climate will allow the animals to do best.

T.G.

That's very helpful, thank you! I'm in Corpus Christi - so it still gets beastly hot but we have a nice coastal breeze year round, which helps. And I have a shaded yard. Hopefully I can find a young tort to start with, as you suggested. :)