Adult Leopard is Sick

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I could really use some of the experience of the group here. My ~10 year old male is not right and I'm not sure what is going on. Started about 6 months ago when I noticed he wasn't quite as active and he stopped trying to mount the females. He still ate and walked around fine, just not his usual self. It has slowly gotten worse. Now he hardly moves around the yard and isn't eating near as much. He'll lay in one spot and sleep in the sun all day, then walk to wherever he decides to sleep for the night. He eats a little, his eyes are clear, he poops occasionally since he doesn't eat as much. I thought maybe he had a bug or something but it isn't getting better now. It is much worse now that it is colder and he will just lay under the heater in the inside enclosure and not move at all. This is much worse than his normal cold weather changes.

Anyone had a similar situation? Time for a vet visit, although I don't know a good reptile vet around my area? Your thoughts?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I don't think I can help. My adult leopards get lazier in the winter. I have one that isn't as active as the other one but it's his normal winter behavior. Maybe some blood work will shed some light.
Have you double checked his temps? Is he in an enclosure by himself? If not, maybe he should be until he's back too normal. There are a lot of Texas members, hopefully a close one has a vet to recommend.
Good luck keep us posted.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it's time for a vet visit. If it were my tortoise I would get an x-ray to make sure there aren't any bladder stones.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Greg have you tried doing frequent daily soaks to help encourage it drink/poop? I have a female leopard that seemingly HATES the winter time and always scares me a little this time of year. But come spring time she acts her normal self. So during the winter I make it a point to soak her as often as I can to help get her day started with hydration. Best of luck, keep us posted

Chasen

Galveston
Sorry I can't impart any wisdom, but I did look for something for you. I remember seeing info somewhere about someone closer, maybe even in League City. According to the Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians, there are 2 reptile vets within a 25 mi radius.

Molly A Willett
361 Columbia Memorial Pkwy
Kemah
281-334-4666

Joseph Flanagan or Maryanne Tocidlowski
1513 Cambridge St
Houston
713-533-6628

I hope it works out well.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Update: found a vet with tortoise experience and good reviews. Took him in on Sunday afternoon. was very dehydrated, no obvious signs of respiratory infection or any other issue. Vet couldn't do bloodwork because the lab was closed for new years, He hydrated and provided Baytril and a Vitamin D shots, then requested I call back Monday to update him. I ended up working later than expected on Monday, so by the time I got home and found out he had not moved an inch all day, I called the vet. So Wednesday I am taking him back in for bloodwork, x-rays, and whatever else necessary. I have been warm soaking him twice a day and keeping his temps up along with a new UV bulb, but still no improvement. He's in bad shape, sure hope this vet can work some magic.

Chasen

Galveston
Update: found a vet with tortoise experience and good reviews. Took him in on Sunday afternoon. was very dehydrated, no obvious signs of respiratory infection or any other issue. Vet couldn't do bloodwork because the lab was closed for new years, He hydrated and provided Baytril and a Vitamin D shots, then requested I call back Monday to update him. I ended up working later than expected on Monday, so by the time I got home and found out he had not moved an inch all day, I called the vet. So Wednesday I am taking him back in for bloodwork, x-rays, and whatever else necessary. I have been warm soaking him twice a day and keeping his temps up along with a new UV bulb, but still no improvement. He's in bad shape, sure hope this vet can work some magic.
Thanx for the update. Pulling for a positive outcome.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Update: He's at the vet still, in a very warm room to try and keep his body temps up. X-rays were mostly negative, but a possible respiratory infection in the lungs may be starting. He hasn't improved much today but they were able to get a tube in him and some food in his stomach. They will get more tomorrow to hopefully give him some nutrients and get his digestive system started again. Bloodwork results should be in tomorrow so maybe that will give a clue.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Update: He's at the vet still, in a very warm room to try and keep his body temps up. X-rays were mostly negative, but a possible respiratory infection in the lungs may be starting. He hasn't improved much today but they were able to get a tube in him and some food in his stomach. They will get more tomorrow to hopefully give him some nutrients and get his digestive system started again. Bloodwork results should be in tomorrow so maybe that will give a clue.
I have a friend dealing with a similar issue and they installed a feeding tube. So far it has increased her's energy levels and it's not having bowel movements which is a big plus.

wccmog10

Georgia
Sorry I can't impart any wisdom, but I did look for something for you. I remember seeing info somewhere about someone closer, maybe even in League City. According to the Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians, there are 2 reptile vets within a 25 mi radius.

Molly A Willett
361 Columbia Memorial Pkwy
Kemah
281-334-4666

Joseph Flanagan or Maryanne Tocidlowski
1513 Cambridge St
Houston
713-533-6628

I hope it works out well.

Joe Flanagan is the veterinarian at the Houston Zoo. And if I remember correctly- that is even the address for the Houston Zoo. So he is not going to be seeing outside patients at that location.

Glad you found a vet with tortoise experience, I hope you can get a good treatment plan going. Fingers crossed for a good recovery.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Update: Still force-feeding him, they say not much improvement in activity. The bloodwork results are back with nothing too abnormal for his condition according to the vet tech. The main vet was on vacation the last 4 days and will be back in tomorrow, so we'll discuss what he thinks once he sees everything. They are suggesting a stomach tube for me to feed him until he gets back on his feet again, so thanks Diamondbp for the input because that helps. I am really struggling with what to do since nobody really seems to know what is wrong (yet). I'll see what the vet says tomorrow and go from there.

Chasen

Galveston
Update: Still force-feeding him, they say not much improvement in activity. The bloodwork results are back with nothing too abnormal for his condition according to the vet tech. The main vet was on vacation the last 4 days and will be back in tomorrow, so we'll discuss what he thinks once he sees everything. They are suggesting a stomach tube for me to feed him until he gets back on his feet again, so thanks Diamondbp for the input because that helps. I am really struggling with what to do since nobody really seems to know what is wrong (yet). I'll see what the vet says tomorrow and go from there.
Thanx for the update. Sure makes it harder when they don't know what's wrong. Hoping there's good news when the vet gets back.

Kasia

Poland
Parasites? Try cloaka swab for flagella.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please be aware that many leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril. If at all possible you should encourage the vet to use a different one.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Update: I just picked him up from the vet. had a stomach tube put in to feed him and am giving him Oxbow Critical Care food twice a day and a good warm soak. He's gained back 4 pounds since the first time I took him in and now has bowel movements (which stink even worse than normal). He's not real active yet, but much more responsive and the vet said much stronger. I'm keeping him in the house, nice and warm, and with a new UV bulb so hopefully he gets his strength back quickly. I feel so bad looking at him with that tube, but it saved his life. Once he's back to normal, they can take it out. now on with the healing.

Thanks for asking Chasen!

As a side note, you know you have a very caring vet when they understand how a large bill is a problem. I mentioned not doing this surgery once mostly because I wasn't sure it would work and not really because of cost, and if it would be better for the tortoise to just put him to sleep because I didn't want him suffering in any way. The vet assured me it was worth the effort to try and save him and he capped my bill but still provided care. He knocked off a significant amount of the total cost which tells me his practice is definitely focused on the animal and not the dollar. Still wasn't cheap at all, but we've had him for over 10 years and he's a part of our family. It's amazing what people will do for a family pet.

Chasen

Galveston
Update: I just picked him up from the vet. had a stomach tube put in to feed him and am giving him Oxbow Critical Care food twice a day and a good warm soak. He's gained back 4 pounds since the first time I took him in and now has bowel movements (which stink even worse than normal). He's not real active yet, but much more responsive and the vet said much stronger. I'm keeping him in the house, nice and warm, and with a new UV bulb so hopefully he gets his strength back quickly. I feel so bad looking at him with that tube, but it saved his life. Once he's back to normal, they can take it out. now on with the healing.

Thanks for asking Chasen!

As a side note, you know you have a very caring vet when they understand how a large bill is a problem. I mentioned not doing this surgery once mostly because I wasn't sure it would work and not really because of cost, and if it would be better for the tortoise to just put him to sleep because I didn't want him suffering in any way. The vet assured me it was worth the effort to try and save him and he capped my bill but still provided care. He knocked off a significant amount of the total cost which tells me his practice is definitely focused on the animal and not the dollar. Still wasn't cheap at all, but we've had him for over 10 years and he's a part of our family. It's amazing what people will do for a family pet.
Oh man, that's EXCELLENT news! It's a great feeling when you know they're going to make it. Thrilled for you! Who is the vet?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
The vet is Dr. Garner, and Dr. Willis, at the Safari Animal Hospital in League City.