Adult Male Ca. Desert Tortoise for adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi my name is Walter and I am new to tortoiseforum.org. I have a Adult (20-50 years old according to the vet) Male California Desert Tortoise I am putting up for adoption. He is a very healthy male. He has some shell damage due to being abused by skaters using him a ramp. But years have past and has made a full recovery. I am very attached to this tortoise, and want him to go to a very knowledable person. I am located in Southern California. Thank You

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortuga_Terrestre (Walter):

1127168qo8basv9g8.gif

to the forum.

We have many SoCalifornians here on the forum. I hope you are able to find a loving home for your tortoise.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thank You! I hope to find a knowledgable home for Fernando; he is truly an awesome tortoise. I see you have Texas DT Hatchlings. Most people collect radiated, leopards ect. I love Native DT's.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Man, I would love to have another, but have 2 males already. You'll have no trouble finding a good home.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Ohhhh he is very nice looking and he looks pretty big don't you think? How big is he really?

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Fernando is roughly 12in maybe even bigger? And weighs about 10 pounds (He got weight 2/2/10 at Dr. Greeks office in Yorba Linda) He had a bit of a runny nose when he got out of hibernation. He was on Baytril for 2 weeks and kept at 80 degrees. He is healthier than ever! He is an aggressive grazer...this boy can eat! Like I mentioned in my previous notes...I will only give him to a very knowledable person or family..I am very attached to this guy. I live in Santa Fe Springs CA.

I am pretty bummed out that I have to give up Fernando. I would like to adopt a California or Texas DT Hatchling. The whole reason I have to give up fernando is because of his size and he cannot be kept in a indoor enclosure. Thank You

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Any experts on DT's want to take a guess at how old this guy is? I know that it said he was between the ages of 20 and 50 years old, but can anyone round it up a bit?

Tortuga do you plan on getting a place for yourself with a big yard in the near future or no?

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
As of right now... I can only afford an apartment. Thats why I could only keep a hatchling right now. Fernando is an awesome tortoise! But too big to keep an a apartment. He is currently staying with a friend.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Tortuga_terrestre said:
Fernando is roughly 12in maybe even bigger? And weighs about 10 pounds (He got weight 2/2/10 at Dr. Greeks office in Yorba Linda) He had a bit of a runny nose when he got out of hibernation. He was on Baytril for 2 weeks and kept at 80 degrees. He is healthier than ever! He is an aggressive grazer...this boy can eat! Like I mentioned in my previous notes...I will only give him to a very knowledable person or family..I am very attached to this guy. I live in Santa Fe Springs CA.

I am pretty bummed out that I have to give up Fernando. I would like to adopt a California or Texas DT Hatchling. The whole reason I have to give up fernando is because of his size and he cannot be kept in a indoor enclosure. Thank You

I am interested in adopting him. I have 2 DT (too small to sex) that are 4-5 inches. They are indoors until the weather gets better consistently. Although they have enjoyed a few warm days recently and looks like they will have a few more in the next week. This is the outdoor tort pen.

CIMG1684.jpg

The trailer and extension cord have been removed since this pic was taken.

CIMG1683.jpg

CIMG1686.jpg

Since this pic was taken the plants grew so tall (from our recent rains) that I actually had to mow them because it took me 20-30 minutes to find the DT's hiding in them. I have also tightened up the bird netting. Still planning on putting in pro bird netting that I can walk under without ducking.

CIMG1681.jpg

The tort table is back indoors where the DT are. You can guesstimate that is is a good sized area by the size of the torts in it.

I am in Temple City and offer visitation. We are not very far from each other. I can take new pics in the daylight of the area or you can come see it.

Dawna

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thank You for your response. The pen might be ok for the little guys but fernando is a big boy.. He needs more space and sunlight. He was staying with my parents and roughly roamed 1/4 of an acre all to himself. He is very territorial and might take out your little guys if left alone with them.

Email me so we can trade info. My email is [email protected]; Like I have mentioned in my previous notes I want to adopt a Hatchling to a small Texas or California DT. Maybe we can come to an agreement. Thank You

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Good Evening, Well its been over a week since I have received any type of comment regarding fernando and Im going to call it quits. Im going to find a home for him within family and friends. Maybe the comment I made about wanting to adopt a hatchling was misunderstood. I was not trading him for a hatchling, but asking the forum if they knew anyone adopting out a hatchling.Sorry If I offended anyone.Thank You

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure there was no offense taken. We understand your situation completely and give you a lot of credit for trying to make your tortoise more comfortable in a home with a yard instead of in an apartment. Good luck. We wish you the best!

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I can't believe nobody has taken him. DT's are the best torts to have as pets if you live in the correct climate.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Good Evening! This is my last and final attempt to find an awesome home for fernando. You have to be very knowledgable...have a big safe backyard for him to roam...live in so cal. If this is not successful, Im going to ask my parents to take him back. email me:[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.