Adult Male Ca. Desert Tortoise for adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Come on you people! For crying out loud, this is a great looking animal, one that literally cannot be bought for any price. I can't believe nobody wants him.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thank you for the quick response. I want fernando to go directly to a permanent home. A chapter is a middle man. I want to visit, where he is going to be homed, I want to meet the person or family. I have met many tortoise and turtle lovers that have countless animals, but do not care for them properly. There is many individuals that "rescue" animals and place them to anyone who is willing to take them in. Call me picky, but I am more interested in the welfare of the animal than anything else.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i completely agree with your point of view and i have had a similar experience with animal owners. i hope you can find a home soon. i know Candy showed interest, you should PM her.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
How big is your parents yard? Was he happy there? Did they take good care of him for you? Is your vet in Yorba Linda good? I wanted to ask you that because I'm looking for one that just deals with tortoises.

I just noticed one of the posts that said that your parents have a lot of property. I am very curious though why you don't want him to stay with them anymore? :rolleyes: I myself have a pretty big back yard, but it's not 1/4 acre, but there is a lot of room to roam. :)

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The question is: Why isnt Fernando with my parents? My parents and I are not on the best of terms. When I came back from 7 months of training (Im in the Army) I was forced to place my pets to differents homes. I refused to give up my beloved tortoise. He is being kept in a indoor enclosure and I take him out atleast 2 hours a day to get natural sunlight. He is super healthy;an aggressive grazer and very heavy. I feel that I am doing everything possible to keep him but he deserves more. I want him to go a very knowledable person.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I understand that you want him to go to a very knowledgeable person, but think about this. When I got Dale (our Cherryhead) I didn't know much about how to keep him, but I researched and found this site. I found a lot of people who helped me take the best care I could of Dale. If I wouldn't have gotten him I would know nothing about tortoises so maybe I did it backwards, but I've surely put in the time to learn what is best for him and I am very dedicated to him and Ruby now. So maybe instead of insisting that someone be that knowledgeable maybe you should consider whether or not they would be caring and loving of your animal. I mean you could be knowledgeable and not pay any attention to him or you could be willing to learn what would be best for him and pay all kinds of attention to him. I know you want the best for him, but I should think what you're really saying is that you want someone who will love and take care of him as you would. Isn't that really what you're saying? :) Why I asked you that question about your parents is because I didn't understand why you didn't leave him there with them did they not want him? Where they abusing him? Their property you said was perfect for him. I'm slightly confused.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Your absoulutely right! Maybe my wording is wrong. I put knowledable instead of loving, because their is alot of "Animal Lovers" that dont really have a clue;what an exotic animal needs really are?. I read through countless threads and all they speak of is "How cute they are" and how they want to collect tortoises like baseball cards. My parents dont want anything related to me in their home (it sounds like i have a big chip on shoulder huh? I really dont =) )

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow I have boys that are grown and can't think of too much that they could do that I wouldn't want them around me or there stuff around me. I'm sorry to hear this. I think if you want Fernando to go to a good home you're going to have to take a chance on making the best decision that you can and let it go. There are a lot of people on here that are very good keepers of DT's with Dawna being one of them and too bad Shelly can't take him. It's really too bad that you don't live closer to Yvonne she is one of them. I really wish you would reconsider one of the people on here there's a lot of people in which you could pm to see if someone was really reputable to take Fernando. I think he would just be happy to be outside where he could roam and have people friends. :D

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Walter I see that you had another thread on German Shepard's, did you keep your dog with Fernando at any time?

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
My shepherd Rex was kept seperately from fernando. Rex is a level 3 personal protection dog, he would rip fernando to pieces with a smile on his face. They both lived on different sides of the property.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He is probably between 30 and 40 Candy :D

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Today Fernando found himself a new loving home and he seems very content here. Yes Walter asked if he could come over to see my yard and he's decided that it's a good place for Fernando to live. So Fernando ate grass most of the time, but there was another time that he found a yellow ball and he started pushing it around and that was so funny. I took lots of pictures of him and will be posting them soon. Then I decided to call Walter and ask him what time Fernando went to bed so now he is sleeping in his box in the same room with Dale and Ruby and the new little Cherryhead. I tell you it's very easy to fall in love with these guys. :D Thank you Walter it was very nice meeting you and your expectant wife Betty, you guys seem like a very nice couple. :)

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hey guys and gals, well I finally found a wonderful home for fernando. Yes, it was diffucult to let him go, but I'm glad he will be well taken care of. As for me, I am hoping to get a DT hatchling! I really love these guys. Thanks again Candy. Sorry for the late response;my internet was down since friday. I am really looking forward in seeing those pictures.

lrainb

5 Year Member
Shelly said:
Man, I would love to have another, but have 2 males already. You'll have no trouble finding a good home.

Hi Shelly,
we recently adopted an 18 year old male...he was used to being with his family but started fighting Dad for Mom... Do your 2 males get along???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Irainb:

1062595i8yr4d48ov.gif
to the forum!!

"Getting along" is all a matter of each individual tortoise. I've seen brothers living together well into old age and getting along famously, and I've seen brothers trying to kill each other when they reached sexual maturity.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
lrainb said:
Shelly said:
Man, I would love to have another, but have 2 males already. You'll have no trouble finding a good home.

Hi Shelly,
we recently adopted an 18 year old male...he was used to being with his family but started fighting Dad for Mom... Do your 2 males get along???

They do get along, but the youngest is only 11, and not really fully mature. I think he has only just begun "puberty" and will likely become more aggressive in the coming years.

MadLoca

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
yay i love happy endings!!! cant wait 2 see the pix of his new home!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I am totally loving this tortoise. You guys should have told me how easy they are to take care of. He is just so adorable. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.