Adult Sulcata Enclosure Build Arizona

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
View attachment 212193 View attachment 212194 Well everyone Hugo is here!! He was delivered yesterday kinda stressed out from the 5 min car ride. Spent most of the day yesterday in his burrow. And all morning today in there... it's about 90 outside now but the burrow is at about 75 or so.. is it going to take him a while to get used to everything? kinda worried about him since he hasn't really eaten anything or showed much interest just wants to be down there in the cool.
Welcome Hugo!! Who did you get him from?

His behavior is completely normal for a tort settling into a new enclosure. Hard to huge size from pics. How big is he and what's he weigh?

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Welcome Hugo!! Who did you get him from?

His behavior is completely normal for a tort settling into a new enclosure. Hard to huge size from pics. How big is he and what's he weigh?
He came from a local person that has had him for almost 2 years. Pretty much on thier backyard lawn. He is 8 yrs old 47 lbs and maybe 18 inches long.. haven't measured him yet so between 12 and 20 inches.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Well we have had some crazy rain the past couple days. Here are some pics of everything greening up! Most pics were after a hard rain. Rainwater harvesting at work!20170710_142207.jpg berms to help erosion and holding water. Gonna plant more seed or bushes.20170713_183753.jpg Blue fescue planted and a rose of sharon20170713_183741.jpgplanted more grass on his burrow covered with hay to keep the birds off and some erosion controlled. Oh and his burrow hasn't gotten a drop of water on the inside. 20170713_184022.jpg blurry pic but it's a desert willow to shade his burrow and our house eventually 20170713_183911.jpg
Sulcata mix and a native seed mix. It's much taller now lol20170710_142222.jpg

Elyce

So Cal
Are you worried about snakes? Where I live I get ground Hofs, Squrrels that are crazy and every snake possible.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Ahh man I gotta update these pics lol.

But no not really. I've seen one rattlesnake in the ally but mostly bull snakes and king snakes. We have squirrels. One actually lives under his shed along with a mexican king snake lol. Gophers. Hawks, owels Oh and the cotote that comes around for the neighbor's chickens and ducks. Hugo is about 45lbs now so i dont worry. I wouldn't move yours outside until he's like 12 inches long from what people say on here.

Elyce

So Cal
So I dug 4 ft deep and put neting and then ground then a board created a grass box with a full wire top. Planted grass and during the summer I put him outside. Specially right now it was 101° just the other day. He has a simple Terra Cuta Saucer and a cut out black hut that he likes to go into. The grass didnt live well during the winter here. And since its not soo deep im not planning on it growing well. But Ill show you his area for the temporary months of summer. This way he gets space, grass, and lots of sun.

jojay327

10 Year Member!
Elgin, South Carolina
So awesome and motivating. I love seeing other keepers going above and beyond. Keep it up and more pics please

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
Thank you for sharing updated photos of your tortoise enclosure. Very nice! The plants have really filled in. What is the tree growing in there? It has a pleasing form.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I'm pricing out and planning 3 outdoor enclosures for my two Desert tortoises and the Russian... you wanna come over and help when I get all the supplies!?! :)

Happy Birthday!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Ahh man I gotta update these pics lol.

But no not really. I've seen one rattlesnake in the ally but mostly bull snakes and king snakes. We have squirrels. One actually lives under his shed along with a mexican king snake lol. Gophers. Hawks, owels Oh and the cotote that comes around for the neighbor's chickens and ducks. Hugo is about 45lbs now so i dont worry. I wouldn't move yours outside until he's like 12 inches long from what people say on here.
Happy Birthday!