Adult Sulcata Indoor Substrate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pongpagong

5 Year Member
I have adopted an adult male sulcata the other day I named him RAE and the previous owner was using recycled paper(color violet) the substrate that usually use for rabbit/guinea pig..I really dont like it..I'm using timothy hay for my juvenile sulcata for substrate but I'm not sure if I can do that for RAE considering the urine/feces of an adult sullies..any suggestion? please help..RAE is in timothy hay for now but if there is more nicer substrate to use for indoor enclosure please let me know..Thanks..

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I use cypress mulch, it works great and is cheaper.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you are going dry for an adult, Sani-Chips are my favorite. Very easy to clean up messes and it doesn't get dusty.

pongpagong

5 Year Member
I wish we have Sani-Chips here in Canada and also the cypress mulch here is not cheap:(

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
i used palm tree bark from petsmart, it worked great

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
What about Timothy hay for the juvenile? Correct me if Im wrong folks but I would not use that for your juvenile. Am I wrong Tom?

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't use any substrate for my adult, how big is this tort? A juvenile should be kept on a substrate that can be kept moist like cypress mulch. He needs about 80% humidity. You need to keep him moist so he won't pyramid. It's very important. If kept too dry he will pyramid and possibly get MBD...metabolic bone disease. It's very bad to be kept dry like that. You need to change and keep his humidity up...

pongpagong

5 Year Member
Hi guys..sorry i've thought he is an adult already but i think he is still a juvenile..he is 12 inches in carapace length.I'm keeping him in 5x10' tortoise table..I just got him last tuesday..my other sulcata is only 5 inches carapace length so can i call this one a juvenile too??? I will change the substrate to cypress mulch..but can i use (bed a beast) coconut coir type for substrate? it is cheaper than the cypress mulch..the cypress mulch is very expensive here..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, you can use the coco coir. You can even use clean dirt from the yard. Anything that you can moisten a bit.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Are you looking at the cypress mulch that is at the pet store or the stuff that is at the hardware/gardening store? There's usually a BIG price disparity between the two and either one works great as a substrate.

pongpagong

5 Year Member
thanks..i will use coconut coir..our garden center here right now are all closed for the season..i only have 1 choice to get a cypress mulch at petstore which is for 11 litres is $18.00..

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The coir sounds good. You want to keep it moist enough when you pick up a handful and squeeze it, it will hold shape, but not so wet that it feels wet and drips out water. And yes, a 12 inch Sulcata has a lot of growing left to do! Do you have a large yard and good weather? At 12 inches he is large enough to be outside full time weather permitting. You will need to build something like a god house or shed with heat. Does Rae already have a lot of pyramiding? Theory has it that the beginning of life is the most important for pyramiding, so even with adding humidity the pyramiding might continue awhile until you get some smooth growth. Remember to have a quarantine period (6 months is typical) and fecal tests for parasites for both your Sulcatas before (and if) you decide to house them together. There can be mental bullying, not just physical, so not every pair will work out. Good luck!

pongpagong

5 Year Member
Hi..yes I have a large yard..the weather? well i live in Canada,right now our temp here is 0 celcius,January,February sometimes will reach -23 to -34 celcius with the winchill of -43 to -54 celcius...summer is ok we have +18-28 celcius the average.Rae has minimal pyramiding i think..the previous owner fed him only lettuce, carrots and cauliflowers..she said Rae does'nt like grass..but i'm in the process of changing his diet gradually to grass..i have timothy hay,cactus pads and bermuda grass..could i feed him canary grass???
So you mean even my other sulcata is only 5 inches Rae will not attact her if i put them together??? the other one is in separate enclosure..quarantine time..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.