Adult tortoises

Angelap-7

Location (City and/or State)
Rehoboth
I am in search of 2 tortoises and would even do more if they were attached. I am waiting to buy my enclosure until I find my tortoise family. I want to make sure it is large enough. My family is ecstatic to add tortoises to our home! Please reach out if you have any. I can get 1 at a time if needed!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be a bit more specific on the species you are looking for. Adults of many species will need an enclosure built and lots of land fenced off. Other species need small space but still the size of 4x8 minimum with out door space still available. Tortoises should never be housed in pairs, never two males together and species should not be mixed.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Read about the care requirements as @wellington has suggested.
Pairs are a horrible idea. And multiple tortoises would require several hundred square feet of enclosure.
Keep in mind that tortoises don't make friends. They don't get "attached". They are solitary creatures. Some species are fiercely solitary. That doesn't mean that pet shops won't say otherwise.
Some tortoises, like a Sulcata shouldn't even be considered if you don't have a full back yard to eventually use after fortifying it.
Others can make use of smaller spaces while still young. Some, like Russians stay small, but still require a lot of space.
Redfoot need lots of humidity. So they are little more difficult to keep.
Each species needs it's own food and special care. It can become expensive to purchase everything you'll need. So research what to buy and don't waste money buying what a pet shop employee recommends.
They require heating and special UV lights.(long tubes. DO NOT BUY A COMPACT COIL UV BULB)
A lot of those commercially available tortoise tables are useless or not large enough for more than a few months. Same thing with glass aquariums.
And no two species should ever be kept together.
Read up and find the tortoise that best fits your circumstances. Make the largest enclosure that you can. Outdoors is best. Get your temperature and humidity correct...
THEN buy that one animal and see how it goes.
Later on as you are better prepared, get more. Most of us do.
Don't go jumping in with your eyes closed.
Things won't go well for you or for the tortoises involved.
It sounds like maybe you haven't thought this out very well.
Everything will be so much simpler if you first decide on the species. Then get everything ready before bringing a tortoise home.
Don't do it in reverse, as you have stated.
Never get any animal that you are not 100% ready for.

Last edited:

halimoht

Lakewood
i dont have a pair of tortoises, but i do have a male adult russian tortoise! he’s 8 and very healthy, he just had a vet visit, the only reason i’m selling is due to time constraints.