Adult??

KnNTiny

Hi I'm K of KnNTiny my sister is N and Tiny is the name of our Russian tortoise. I was wondering at age does a Russain Tort become and adult? Right now she is only three years old but I just wanted to know for the future. Here is a pic of her!!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406757479.586762.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
:D Torts do not become an adult at certain age :p How big is she? Females can reach sexual maturity (adult age) at anywhere from 4-6'', but they are almost always able to reproduce by 7''.

KnNTiny

Well thx for the advice but is it about head to toe or shell size when measuring?

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
I measure this way;
  • Place the A4 sheet of paper on the floor. Ensure it is touching the solid vertical surface and hasn’t gone under any gaps.
  • Place the tortoise on top of the paper, with its head close to the solid surface.
  • Very gently push the tortoise towards the wall. Naturally its head will retract into the shell.
  • When the front of the shell is touching the wall mark the paper directly below the base of the shell at the tail end.
  • Remove the tortoise and measure and record the length marked on the paper.
(Thank you http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/weighing_and_measuring_66.asp which also tells you how to weigh them too!) ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How do you know your tortoise is only three? She looks older than that to me.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

KnNTiny

Well that is what I was told buy the person who have it to me. Here is a pic from a different angle.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406811901.427594.jpg

Vinny Chiarito

Pueblo, colorado
Well I well I like your question. I see the instructions for the babies, then I see the instructions for the adults....like moving them outside in a habitat..etc. when are they old enough to follow the adult instructions?? And do they always need the same amount of humidity as they grow older, or just as babies?