Advice for a newly acquired young adult

Feyotter

Location (City and/or State)
York, Pa
image.jpg image.jpg Hello everyone.
About a year ago I got a hatchling sulcata online from a pet store in Florida. After getting a lot of great advice I followed it as best as I could and the baby seemed to be doing well. Except for one thing - he eventually stopped eating as much as he used to and never grew at all. I mean, not an ounce! His temps were good, his humidity was good and he had a hide with moist moss in it which he used all the time. But, he never grew and recently he passed away. I have no idea why except one person told me that depending on where the hatchlings come from they can be doomed to start with even if they seem fine at the beginning. Since I missed the little guy I decided to get another, but one that was at least a couple years old and already doing well. So, that’s what I did. Until I build an outdoor enclosure I have him in a 4 by 6 indoor enclosure with top soil mixed with reptibark. His temps (or hers) are 98 degrees at his basking spot and 80 degrees everywhere else. He has two sources of uvb - a long tube fixture and the one that is both heat and uvb in a spot light. I have a large terra cotta saucer for his water and a smaller one for his food. He’s eating collard greens and mustard greens and romaine lettuce as well as Mazuri and Zoo Med tortoise food. He also will go out at least twice a day to graze in the yard. (He hasn’t yet, I just got him today-lol). My questions are: does he need a hide even inside, and is the humidity as crucial for an adult as it is for a hatchling? Also, are the temps good, and is the substrate ok? Please ask me anything or give any advice as I want this to go much better than previously. I will add some pics as soon as I figure out how to. Lol
Thanks!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just quickly, yes, get a small dark rubbermaid tub, remove the lid, make a an entrance just a bit larger than your sully. They like these dark, humid hides to feel safe and increased humidity too.
  • Humidity is key throughout their lifespans. So keep humid, soak often (daily)
  • Substrate sounds good. I used a combination of cypress mulch from Home Depot, coco coir, and peat moss....
  • Temps look good too. Never lower than 80.
  • Outside time is good.
  • Varied diet, no fruit. Feed and offer grass, grass, grass. Weeds, dandelions, hibiscus, rose of sharon. Grass
  • Provide a cuttle bone..