Advice for an aspiring zookeeper?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Hi everyone. :)

The last few years I've been on a break from school, paying off debts and trying to figure out what I want to go back for and do with my life. I've changed my mind many many times, but I always seem to come back to zoo-related work. I've finally decided that this is what I want, and so lately I've been looking at various schools and programs...mostly the EATM program at Moorpark College in CA.

I know we have quite a few people here on TFO who work with animals professionally. I'd love to hear from people who work/have worked in zoos or similar positions...what tips do you have for aspiring keepers? I'd love any advice you've got for me, feedback on programs, anything. I probably won't be starting school until fall of 2015, so I've got some time to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks guys! :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I am a Moorpark Grad.. but from WAY back.. 86... so things are VERY different there now..
I would start volunteering at your local Zoo and when a opening comes... go for it.. However.. Most places require a Degree of some sort these days.. so find out what is required and start there.. Not a whole lot of money to be made.. but sometimes.. that's not what its all about. :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I've sent an email to our local zoo, but no response yet. :/ Trying to get as much experience as I can though!

That's so neat you went to Moorpark!

And no, I'm definitely not in it for money or "glamour!" Haha. I'm ready to get dirty and bitten and scratched and smelly...heck, I'm even excited!

Does anyone know of scholarships, say by like the AAZK, etc.?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like EATM will be a good place for you to get some experience, knowledge, a degree, and lots of exposure to all sorts of animal related jobs. Tell them Tom said hi.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
That made me laugh!!

Well, okay...maybeeeee I'm not SUPER excited about the bitten and scratched part. Being maimed and injured isn't exactly my idea of fun. :p

Sounds like EATM will be a good place for you to get some experience, knowledge, a degree, and lots of exposure to all sorts of animal related jobs. Tell them Tom said hi.

These are exactly my thoughts. I'm mostly just concerned about paying for it all...cost of living is crazy. Tom did you go to EATM?

Send @Will a message. He has worked in several different types of animal-related fields.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I did. Graduated a little bit after Laura though. Many people in my industry did.

There are a bunch of houses around the Campus that rent to students year after year. Rent gets a lot cheaper when you divide it up 4 or 5 ways. :) That's all part of the fun and experience of the EATM program. We had some crazy parties...

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
Definitely look for volunteer opportunities that would add to your experience and your resume. Any zoo, aquarium, or nature center might have good opportunities. Once you're accepted or in class taking your pre requisites you could look for internships.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I live in camarillo, and I know the people that run that moorpark zoo, if you can get in they will def help you with zoo keeping. Hard part tho is, it's almost like. Having a full time job, it's hard to work outside of going to school with that program. The reason why I can't do it or I would. They do pay you I believe just won't be enough to live especially around here. For me I switched to biology, and the Santa Barbra zoo I volunteer at just to get your foot on the door. Also you can see if you can help out at the moorpark zoo before you even apply for the program. Where do you live?

Kyle