Advice for Porch Enclosure please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennaveese

5 Year Member
Hi all, I live in Asheville, NC where we enjoy humidity and warm temperatures during the summers. My 8 year old red-foot has a 6'x3' inside enclosure but I am wanting to make him a new outdoor enclosure on my porch since I just moved into the woods. The side of the porch has part full sun and part shade. My plan was to put a pond liner down and then topsoil and then mulch. I will have to build a fence on one side as the area is already fenced on the other three sides. The total enclosed area will be about 6' x 8'. I will plant some edible plants and ground cover around and give him an upside-down litter box for shelter and a shallow pan for water.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any tips? The only outdoor enclosures I have ever built before were temporary chicken wire type enclosures. I still plan to bring Jerry inside at night and when it is very rainy or cold.

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Sounds Great , Most tortoises strive in humidity and heat :)
Everything sounds good, cant wait to the the finished enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds great. You might have some luck with some potted plants too.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds like a good plan. Make sure you secure the pond liner well, it does not work loose. You may also want to add a couple of stepping stones so you can maintain it.

jennaveese

5 Year Member
Thanks for the tips. If I do potted plants, can he get into them to eat? Or is the point to just have foliage and not for him to be able to eat them?

Also, what do you mean about the pond liner not working loose?

Thanks!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I assumed you were going to put pond liner down and up a foot or more up the sides? To allow for substrate?
If so, just make sure you tack it down the the porch sides (or whatever support you use) so you can maintain it w/o the liner working itself loose. I am sure you have thought of this!

You can use potted plants, in the their pots, submerged into the substrate. Spider plant, Pothos, Prayer plant, etc.
Here is a nice link to a site with tort friendly plants:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sounds good....also make sure the top is secure if you have predators or if your tort is still small....:D

Would love to see pics when all done...

Status
Not open for further replies.