Advice needed 15yo Russian tort female stopped eating

Dstaff

Location (City and/or State)
New jersey
My 15+ yo Russian female stopped eating 6 weeks ago. Was digging constantly in her indoor enclosure. Stopped pooping at bath time. Took her to the vet last week weighed 455 grams. Vet gave two injections - 1 for possible infection and another to hydrate. Since we came home she has burrowed herself and not come out. Indoor enclosure remains constant at 70 degrees and daily uva/uvb lamp 12 hrs about 80+ degrees. Vet suggested adding heat so added a ceramic heat lamp 24hrs and now 90 degrees when both on. She has burrowed herself completely since coming home from the vet which she has never done. She always dug but never covered herself. We've had her 10 years. Guesstimate her to be 15-20yo as a family member had her first. Suggestions? Should I be bathing her and forcing her to eat? Or let her be? Should I shut off light and heat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If it's not time to brumate (which it isn't), then I keep pestering the tortoise and not allowing it to vegetate. I soak every morning in warm water for 45 minutes to an hour, then I place the tortoise in front of the food. Then, throughout the day I dig it out and place it in front of the food. My sister will carry a sick tortoise around as she moves about the house, not allowing it to settle. So far, I haven't gone that far.

The first thing that popped into my mind when I read your post was maybe she has eggs and doesn't have a good site to nest???