Advice needed (does my tortoise need a friend?)

janet Mills

2-3 years ago we bought two Horsfield torties. (one male, one female). At the time of purchase they were about five years old. Unfortunately about 2-3 months ago the female died. The male has me very worried. He has hardly eaten since her death and tends to spend most of his time in his hide. The advice I need is - 1) should I get another one to keep him company. 2) If I do get another one would a male be OK or would they fight.

Thanks

keepergale

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
A second tortoise is not nessicery and in fact probably not a good idea for many reason. Your tortoise is not lonesome

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. They are solitary and territorial. Tell us about your enclosure, temps, basking, warm side, cool side and night low, and the equipment to maintain. What do you feed him? As much detail as you can, so we can hopefully help y oh figure out what is wrong with him. I guarantee it is not loneliness.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. They are solitary and territorial. Tell us about your enclosure, temps, basking, warm side, cool side and night low, and the equipment to maintain. What do you feed him? As much detail as you can, so we can hopefully help y oh figure out what is wrong with him. I guarantee it is not loneliness.
What she said. It's definitely not loneliness.

Some pictures of your enclosure and lighting will help us to help you help your tort :)

In the meantime, soak him every day for at least 30 minutes to make sure he stays hydrated. He can go a long time without food, but not water.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Maybe it would be a good thing if you took him to a good reptile vet. He may have something that she died of, or some other issues.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree. It's not loneliness making the male ill. It could be whatever killed the female.
Maybe parasites have weakened them both and the male is just stronger.
A lot of things that look like "friendship" with two tortoises, as in following each other around and sleeping together, is actually aggression and bullying.
It's a little difficult for us mammals to understand at first. Tortoises view all other tortoises as competition. Nothing more. Pairs are bad. Although small groups can work if given a LOT of room, because it spreads out the aggression so that no single tortoise gets all of it.
Get your little guy checked out by a vet and then let him live alone. He and you will be better off.
To answer the specific question: NO.
Welcome. I hope you'll stay and enjoy the forum.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
As has been said: torts do not need/want/like company, so it's not loneliness. How about a visit to a vet?

And a very warm welcome to the forum. :tort:

janet Mills

Got a bit lost trying to use the forum. Thanks to all for your advice. He has eaten a small amount of food, so am hopeful his appetite is coming back

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
2-3 years ago we bought two Horsfield torties. (one male, one female). At the time of purchase they were about five years old. Unfortunately about 2-3 months ago the female died. The male has me very worried. He has hardly eaten since her death and tends to spend most of his time in his hide. The advice I need is - 1) should I get another one to keep him company. 2) If I do get another one would a male be OK or would they fight.

Thanks

Give these a read through and see if your set up differs much:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member

Thanks
They definitely don't need friends. Male + Male = Fight. Male + Female = Fight If you want to keep 2 of them, keep them separated.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Generally speaking, torts do NOT want/like/need company.