Advice needed - what type of tortoise do I have?

Jennyjuju

Location (City and/or State)
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Hi all!

I’m new to tortoise care, and have recently inherited a lovely tortoise! I want to make sure I give him a lovely life, but need some advice in terms of the basics.

For starters I’m not too sure what species of tortoise I have - I’ve attached a photo, can anyone help?

Also any tips that you have in terms of feeding and general care would be most appreciated :) he does hibernate in winter.

Thanks so much!

71B54DFB-FA45-4798-8285-486755469F17.jpeg

Jennyjuju

Thank you for your response! I’ve attempted to give him a soak, he lasted all of about 10 minutes and spent most of it trying to get out of the container! I’ll be trying again tomorrow with a deeper one, so as not to traumatise him too much for one day!

I’m not sure he quite knew what to do, I assume they are supposed to drink the water?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thank you for your response! I’ve attempted to give him a soak, he lasted all of about 10 minutes and spent most of it trying to get out of the container! I’ll be trying again tomorrow with a deeper one, so as not to traumatise him too much for one day!

I’m not sure he quite knew what to do, I assume they are supposed to drink the water?
They will drink it sometimes, but also just absorb it ? so any soak is a good soak, but a bit longer never hurts. Definitely try the larger tub and see if it helps him. Won't hurt at least lol. He'll probably still try to get out, but that's good exercise so he'll be ok so long as it's not too deep or too shallow

Jennyjuju

Oh ok that’s good at least he will have absorbed some! Will see how we get on tomorrow! The water level was just above the join where the top and bottom shells meet, is that adequate?

Next I need to educate myself and tackle his diet, he’s been previously fed a mixture of cucumber and apple (in addition to his general grazing on weeds), which I don’t think is ideal! But he had absolutely no interest in a dandelion today, so this could be an interesting adventure for him!

Thanks again!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jennyjuju, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a Greek tortoise, and whatever you have growing outside in your garden is probably good tortoise food! They mainly eat broad leaf weeds and plants, and a little grass along the way. Please take a look at our care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/

Jennyjuju

Hi Jennyjuju, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a Greek tortoise, and whatever you have growing outside in your garden is probably good tortoise food! They mainly eat broad leaf weeds and plants, and a little grass along the way. Please take a look at our care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/
Thanks so much! Can I ask, is it essential that he has a shelter/house in the garden? At the moment he tends to shelter under the various bushes in the garden!

Thank you ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Ok, thanks for confirming! Does the hide need to have anything in it that he can bury himself into? Apologies, I am a complete novice!

Thanks again for your help!
Ok, thanks for confirming! Does the hide need to have anything in it that he can bury himself into? Apologies, I am a complete novice!

Thanks again for your help!

My sister posted a link for you to read...not trying to put you off, but I don't know much about Greeks...I just know the UK has cooler weather, and some tortoises need heat at night, mine do...but they are not Greeks...
and there's no apology needed...ask as many questions as you need to...that is why we are here...you'll get some actual help...no worries

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Take a read through Chris’ great care guide. It should help answer a lot of your questions

Jennyjuju

Thanks everybody! Im in the process of reading through the guide ? one trouble I have is that Timmy is well into his 80’s so how averse to change he will be, we will see!

Thanks again!