advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayhay

5 Year Member
hi i am new to this site and to looking after tortoises but here goes about a month ago i bought a horsefield tort and she was pretty active then after about 2 days i noticed she wasnt moving much i know they dont move about much but this is only about a few steps every day now also she doesnt seem to be eating and her eyes are always closed now so any help please

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi hayhay:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

Nine times out of ten, when we hear problems like what you're experiencing, it has to do with the husbandry.

Can you show us a picture of the habitat, and tell us all about it? Lights, heat, substrate, hiding places, food, etc.

hayhay

5 Year Member
thanks for the reply
i will upload a picture soon but right now she is in a viverium- i know this isnt right but its what we got sold at the shop and it wasnt untill we got home a friend said she shouldnt be in it so we are trying to replace it
erm as for lights we have a uvb bulb and a heat bulb again they came from the pet shop i have a feeling i am doing it all wrong as i get so many mixed answers from people
hiding places i use leaves i did get told to use paper but i didnt like the sound of that, food is normal lettuce and veg plus a food that u add to water for her but she hasnt touched any of that x

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Im going to say right now dehydration is what's wrong with your tortoise..
You didn't mention anything about humidity or soaking or mistings
You should read this link about hatchling failure syndrome.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome

It's my belief that all tortoise should have humidity levels of at least 60% to 70%
Higher for other tortoises like redfoots, leopard's, and sulcatas
Plus you should be doing daily misting and daily soaks in warm water.
Keeping eyes closed and inactivity is a sign of dehydration , they are trying to retain as much moisture as possible.
Plus a humidity hide and a 24/7 water source in their cage that they can soak themselves in and drink from whenever they want

Status
Not open for further replies.