Advice on moving tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perseus

5 Year Member
So, my wonderful forum peeps....I need some input. I am moving from Wisconsin to South Carolina. We are driving cross country and I am nervous about my tort staying healthy during the trip during this chilly time of year. We have a very large suv, so I will have no issues putting her whole habitat, as is, into the vehicle. That's a relief.

Here's my concern: how the heck am I going to be able to control the temperature during the day if I have no way to plug in her basking bulb and heat emitter? We'll have the heat on in the vehicle but I worry about the temp going below 60F or the draft she could catch from moving her habitat in and out of the vehicle (and from people opening doors and such).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Should be fine with short bursts of cold, like from opening car doors. If you can secure the overhead lights, you can go get an AC Inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter in your car and then you plug your heat lamps into that. Hot water bottles are also good too. You can refill them at rest stops. You could also fill a 5 gallon jug with hot water and put that near enough to keep her warm.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
There are some companies that make 12v heating pads/blankets that'll plug into you vehiv=cle lighter socket...pretty handy wehen moving herps in the cold.

Check Ebay ansd Amazon.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I moved my red foot across country a few years ago .
I set him up in a tote, and use hot hands hand warmers as a heat source.
they only last 12 hours so I had to stop at a home depot every couple states .
just gotta make sure he can't eat them. I wrapped mine in dish towels and taped the ends.
worked very well.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
I would do the power inverter and maybe a CHE hung from the headliner (shirt hooks). If that won't work for you i like the heating pad idea. I love your screen name by the way.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Az tortoise compound said:
I love your screen name by the way.

Ha! Ha! You would...and so do I! :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
You can buy a large box of Hand Warmers at Costco. they are little packets that you activate and they stay warm. you can put them in your pockets or gloves.. great for tort travel..

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I would ad, keep them in a dark place, it tends to keep them calmer

M

Maggie Cummings

You shouldn't leave him in his habitat. I have moved with and traveled with tortoises a lot so I am seriously experienced in that. You should put the tortoise in a dark box with a closed lid. Laura told you about Hot Hands, they are great. You would line the bottom of the box halfway across with Hot Hands that will keep the tort warm and he can get off of them if he gets too warm. Laura said you can get them at Costco. I think that was Laura...anyhow, if you keep the box warm and dark he will sleep while you are driving. Then when you stop at the motel you put a black light bulb on him to warm him up all over. I generally don't feed then while traveling. Going a few days without food won't hurt, but you do want to stick him in the bathtub for a soak and a drink. The important thing is to keep him warm and dark while driving. He is safer in a dark closed box. I hope that helps. You sure are moving to a warmer climate that will be good for both you and the tortoise. Good Luck

Perseus

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone! I love the idea of the 12v heating blanket or the hand warmers. I'll see what I can get my hands on.

Maggie and onarock, I'm going to follow your advice about the box, doing the warm and dark thing. She loves din-din, so I may have p.o.'d tort on my hands of we go a day or so without food. But the thought of cleaning tort poop every hundred miles...ugh, that would make the possibility of quiet, warm and dark a bit difficult. So I can see the logic in your suggestion. Yes, moving to South Carolina wlll be a much better environment for my girl. More days of heat and sunshine. (I also may expand my tort family....shhhh, nobody tell the hubby!)

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I only have Mortimer[my Sulcata] to talk about for traveling. We made the trip from NJ to NC[about11 hrs] to visit our son. It was in July so the a/c was on the whole trip[husband doesn't like hot unless on the beach]. I found a huge storage" basket" that I first lined with a plastic garbage bag. I then covered the bag with an old "Baby" quilt and on top of that I put a "fleece" blanket. This is what Morty actually came in contact with during the trip. I then covered the OUTSIDE of the BASKET with an old wool blanket. Kept the "traveling box" on the back seat of the car throughout the trip. Every time we stopped---I checked on Morty---if he was "in-shell" I left him alone----if he was "awake", I took his out of the box and let him stretch. I was amazed at how warm he felt when I would take him out---and he seemed fine every time. He got fed when we arrived[along with a good soak]. Best traveling pet we've had to date. He was 8 lbs. when we made this trip and I "worried" more than necessary. JMT

M

Maggie Cummings

I guarantee he will poop within the first 50 miles of leaving. Be sure to keep a roll of paper towels handy. And use Anneski's suggestion of lining the box I forgot to say that. But after the garbage bag I put newspapers then a bunch of hay. I am glad you are gonna use the dark box, it works very well. He will sleep most of the way. Don't forget to go to Costco for the Hot Hands to keep him warm...good luck. Keep us posted and let us know how you like S Carolina...

Status
Not open for further replies.