Advice on my brothers baby sulcata?

Elliek

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello again! Thank you guys for your advice on Koopa. He’s been doing fantastic and he no longer has little snot bubbles. Unfortunately now my brothers sulcata Zulu is having a little bit of trouble and I’d appreciate some advice. He’s going to the vet tomorrow. His tortoise has been lethargic since we got him and we didn’t think much of it, but now Zulu has stopped eating and his eyes are swollen and kinda foggy. The bottom of his shell is very soft as well and I think it might be a vitamin or calcium deficiency of some kind? Just wondering if anyone knows what might be going on and could give us a little nudge in the right direction on how we can help him out until he’s taken to the vet tomorrow. (Pictures included) thank you guys In advance ❤️

Attachments

• 6A1F2B0F-D245-4F81-B75A-C37F504EA1A6.png
    6A1F2B0F-D245-4F81-B75A-C37F504EA1A6.png
    851.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 6352399B-F735-4C41-A21D-8166913FB30D.jpeg
    6352399B-F735-4C41-A21D-8166913FB30D.jpeg
    848.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 4A860B7C-AC53-416A-A5A4-BF17F4FDBFD8.jpeg
    4A860B7C-AC53-416A-A5A4-BF17F4FDBFD8.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello again! Thank you guys for your advice on Koopa. He’s been doing fantastic and he no longer has little snot bubbles. Unfortunately now my brothers sulcata Zulu is having a little bit of trouble and I’d appreciate some advice. He’s going to the vet tomorrow. His tortoise has been lethargic since we got him and we didn’t think much of it, but now Zulu has stopped eating and his eyes are swollen and kinda foggy. The bottom of his shell is very soft as well and I think it might be a vitamin or calcium deficiency of some kind? Just wondering if anyone knows what might be going on and could give us a little nudge in the right direction on how we can help him out until he’s taken to the vet tomorrow. (Pictures included) thank you guys In advance ❤️
Here are several potential problems. Any of these could be the sole source of the problem or contributors:
1. Is there a cfl type UV bulb in one of those hoods? If yes, those sometimes burn their eyes. They should not be used over reptiles.
2. The enclosure looks wonderful, but where did all those plants come from? If they were bought at a store, they are full of systemic pesticides. This could easily cause the symptoms you are seeing.
3. Watermelon and other fruits are not appropriate foods for sulcatas. It can make them sick.
4. Long fibered moss will be eaten and is likely to cause an impaction.
5. Where did the baby come from and how was it started? Most breeders do not start them correctly, and it takes weeks or months for them to die from it. Here is more explanation on that one:

So many mistakes. I wish your brother had come here like you did.

Elliek

Florida
Here are several potential problems. Any of these could be the sole source of the problem or contributors:
1. Is there a cfl type UV bulb in one of those hoods? If yes, those sometimes burn their eyes. They should not be used over reptiles.
2. The enclosure looks wonderful, but where did all those plants come from? If they were bought at a store, they are full of systemic pesticides. This could easily cause the symptoms you are seeing.
3. Watermelon and other fruits are not appropriate foods for sulcatas. It can make them sick.
5. Where did the baby come from and how was it started? Most breeders do not start them correctly, and it takes weeks or months for them to die from it. Here is more explanation on that one:

Th

th

Thank you for all your advice. I passed it along to him. The only reason I came on here rather than him is because I knew about this forum and found all of the advice helpful. We bought him from a reptile store that takes very good care of their reptiles and I got my tortoise there as well and mine doesn’t have these issues so I’m not sure if it’s from the breeding or not but regardless I’ll make sure we can fix what needs to be fixed :)

Elliek

Florida

Th

th

Also the watermelon is a rare treat. We had it in the tank today to try to get him to eat since he loved watermelon when we’ve offered it to him once in the past :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We bought him from a reptile store that takes very good care of their reptiles ...
I wish this were the case more often, but even so, the person they are buying the babies from is not likely starting the babies correctly. Some make it and some don't.