Advice on pancake enclosure idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp07

5 Year Member
I'm currently brainstorming ideas for a pancake tortoise table. My current plan is a corner table which will be a right angled triangle to slot into the corner of a room. I'm planning on the 2 sides perpendicular to the wall being 150cm long which will make the front approximately 2.1m.

I am considering making two of these with one fitted directly below the other and a ramp connecting them.

I was thinking at least 25cm for the height of the sides to allow me to build up a few hides from slate, siliconed together to create hides. I would also have a wire mesh top. This may mean I have to mesh the sides between the upper and lower levels.

I'm not sure (views on this very much appreciated) but I was going to have different temperatures on the 2 levels and possibly different intensities of lighting to give the animals choice. Possibly using one level as a basking zone. This would depend on how readily they use the ramp.

Obviously there would be a range of hides.

Again this is just an idea, I am still undecided on getting pancakes. I would use a thermal imaging camera to monitor the environmental conditions.

I apologise for not being able to provide a diagram, I tried Google sketchup but got too frustrated!

Can anyone suggest good materials? I was thinking basic planed timber for the frame with sheet MDF for the flooring (would plywood be better?). Would anyone advise lining the base to prevent moisture damage?

If I use 2 levels this would provide about 2.25 sq m of floor space(approx 24 sq foot)

Any feedback on these ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi jp07, and welcome to the Forum!

I don't have any answers for you, but would very much love to see the finished product.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Never personally owned pancake tortoises (always thought about it, but Florida just isn't the place for them), but your enclosure sounds wonderful for what I've heard of them. What will your substrate be however? The different temperatures between levels definitely sounds good, torts should always have a choice.

While I've never done a pancake enclosure, I've built plenty of others. I would recommend plywood for the base, covered in either pond liner or sheet linoleum. While I've never personally used sheet linoleum, a lot of people seem to like it; it cuts easy and is easy to work with (so they say). I would assume you could just cut pieces for the bottom and sides and silicone/caulk it all together.
Pond liner is relatively easy to work with, and obviously water-proof and easy to clean. I would get PVC over EPDM as its a lot cheaper. Just some suggestions.

jp07

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
Never personally owned pancake tortoises (always thought about it, but Florida just isn't the place for them), but your enclosure sounds wonderful for what I've heard of them. What will your substrate be however? The different temperatures between levels definitely sounds good, torts should always have a choice.

While I've never done a pancake enclosure, I've built plenty of others. I would recommend plywood for the base, covered in either pond liner or sheet linoleum. While I've never personally used sheet linoleum, a lot of people seem to like it; it cuts easy and is easy to work with (so they say). I would assume you could just cut pieces for the bottom and sides and silicone/caulk it all together.
Pond liner is relatively easy to work with, and obviously water-proof and easy to clean. I would get PVC over EPDM as its a lot cheaper. Just some suggestions.

Im in the UK and I'm still deciding if this is a good place for them. I have re-thought the design due to limited wood work skills and the challenges of a triangular table I am considering going for an L shaped corner table, still probably on 2 levels but the corner will allow for variation in temperature and lighting.

What are the views on pancakes in UK? Is the problem with Florida the ambient humidity?

Thanks for the views.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Pancakes typically just favor whichever hide tends to be closest to where they are when they want to retreat. I have never done anything fancy for them, just decent size per each animal housed together and enough hides for each of the 5 to go into. I will sometimes find a lone pancake in one of the many hides. But more often they are all together under the same hide. I keep relative humidity 30-40% they do great. They cant tolerate very cold so that is one thing to consider being in the UK. but as long as your enclosure is controlled to the temps,humidity they need. Then you should be just fine. They are a wonderful species to have. What other species were you going to consider?

jp07

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Pancakes typically just favor whichever hide tends to be closest to where they are when they want to retreat. I have never done anything fancy for them, just decent size per each animal housed together and enough hides for each of the 5 to go into. I will sometimes find a lone pancake in one of the many hides. But more often they are all together under the same hide. I keep relative humidity 30-40% they do great. They cant tolerate very cold so that is one thing to consider being in the UK. but as long as your enclosure is controlled to the temps,humidity they need. Then you should be just fine. They are a wonderful species to have. What other species were you going to consider?

They would be indoors and outside when weather permits. Otherwise I was considering a med species but I would prefer to get those when I have space for outdoor ploy tunnel type enclosures.

I've worked in tortoise in situ conservation and worked with sulcatta and spur thighs in captivity but these would be my 1st true pets tortoises.

I guess my decision is still hinging on 2 points, number 1 I will only get a species if I am sure I can keep them to the highest standard.

Number 2 as a conservationist I guess I am a little torn on a species which has been heavily affected by the pet trade. Obviously I will only get animals which are from a long line of captive breds. I do love the animals but its my own moral dilemma! These would be the first animals I have ever paid for, I usually have a strict policy of only rehoming.

jp07

5 Year Member
jp07 said:
They would be indoors and outside when weather permits. Otherwise I was considering a med species but I would prefer to get those when I have space for outdoor ploy tunnel type enclosures.

I've worked in tortoise in situ conservation and worked with sulcatta and spur thighs in captivity but these would be my 1st true pets tortoises.

I guess my decision is still hinging on 2 points, number 1 I will only get a species if I am sure I can keep them to the highest standard.

Number 2 as a conservationist I guess I am a little torn on a species which has been heavily affected by the pet trade. Obviously I will only get animals which are from a long line of captive breds. I do love the animals but its my own moral dilemma! These would be the first animals I have ever paid for, I usually have a strict policy of only rehoming.

Is MDF a safe material to construct a table from?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, it is safe but not moisture resistant. You would have to line it with linoleum and caulk the seams, or with a pond liner, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.