Advice on sulcata tortoise behavior

nicoleann2214

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hey guys I’m new here. I recently just bought a baby sulcata tortoise. I want to make sure I am doing everything right. I currently have her in a tortoise house from zoo med and I have a basking bulb that’s 75 watts and a long UV lamp for her. She seems to being doing good and is eating and drinking I noticed she occasionally will blow bubbles out of her nose? I have been soaking her with warm water 3 times a week.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Hey guys I’m new here. I recently just bought a baby sulcata tortoise. I want to make sure I am doing everything right. I currently have her in a tortoise house from zoo med and I have a basking bulb that’s 75 watts and a long UV lamp for her. She seems to being doing good and is eating and drinking I noticed she occasionally will blow bubbles out of her nose? I have been soaking her with warm water 3 times a week.
Hello and welcome to the Forum, I'm a Sucata owner also. I'm sure as soon as Tom reads this he will be glad to give you all your answers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a major problem that you need to fix immediately.

The nose bubbles indicate the start of a respiratory infection. This is usually caused by temps being to low for this tropical species. There is no way for anyone to know if your 75 watt bulb is enough. Only your thermometer can answer that. And they mist have night heat. This is best supplied by a radiant heat panel, or a ceramic heating element controlled by a thermostat.

Those ZooMed tortoise houses are no good for any species. Too small for testudo adults, and too open for babies of any species. They also rot with damp substrate which is a necessity for all species.

Sadly, most of the care info you find is wrong. This being the case, I'm glad you found us. Here is all the correct care info:

Your questions ar welcome! :)

nicoleann2214

NY

The nose bubbles indicate the start of a respiratory infection. This is usually caused by temps being to low for this tropical species. There is no way for anyone to know if your 75 watt bulb is enough. Only your thermometer can answer that. And they mist have night heat. This is best supplied by a radiant heat panel, or a ceramic heating element controlled by a thermostat.

Those ZooMed tortoise houses are no good for any species. Too small for testudo adults, and too open for babies of any species. They also rot with damp substrate which is a necessity for all species.

Sadly, most of the care info you find is wrong. This being the case, I'm glad you found us. Here is all the correct care info:

nicoleann2214

NY

I will be going too the store tomorrow to look for a night bulb for her what wattage would you suggest? I have a heat gun and her basking spot gets about 100 degrees and her low side around 60’s 70’s I have put moss in there to get it humid. I will be buying a temp gauge and is there anything I can do to help her before resulting to a vet? I have a vet she can be seen by. Thank you!!

Courtney760

Marana, AZ
@Tom Reading this post just reminded me I needed to ask you a question. I saw a post you made before about a controlled thermostat but can’t find the post again. What are they called again? I think you had said EZ Kill-a-watt or something like that, but I can’t find one anywhere. Whenever I try to google that a bunch of stuff comes up that is definitely not what I’m looking for. Thank you in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will be going too the store tomorrow to look for a night bulb for her what wattage would you suggest? I have a heat gun and her basking spot gets about 100 degrees and her low side around 60’s 70’s I have put moss in there to get it humid. I will be buying a temp gauge and is there anything I can do to help her before resulting to a vet? I have a vet she can be seen by. Thank you!!
No part of the enclosure should drop below 80 degrees day or night. If the tortoise is already showing signs of sickness, then you need to warm the whole enclosure up to 85-90 24/7, and keep it that way for weeks. With a closed chamber this is an easy thermostat adjustment. With an open top, it is difficult.

This tortoise cannot go even one more night with low temps. That might put it too far over the edge to make it back. If need be, move the enclosure into a bathroom and run a space heater to keep the whole room 85 ish.

You don't need a night bulb. You need a CHE or and RHP, and you need a closed chamber too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom Reading this post just reminded me I needed to ask you a question. I saw a post you made before about a controlled thermostat but can’t find the post again. What are they called again? I think you had said EZ Kill-a-watt or something like that, but I can’t find one anywhere. Whenever I try to google that a bunch of stuff comes up that is definitely not what I’m looking for. Thank you in advance!
The EZ was a device to measure how much electricity was being used through and outlet.

I think what you are looking for is this link to the thermostat I usually use:

Courtney760

Marana, AZ
The EZ was a device to measure how much electricity was being used through and outlet.

I think what you are looking for is this link to the thermostat I usually use:
Yes. Thank you! I’ve been doing so much reading over the past couple of weeks on here that I must be starting to confuse myself. Should I have that connected to the CHE or the basking bulb?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. Thank you! I’ve been doing so much reading over the past couple of weeks on here that I must be starting to confuse myself. Should I have that connected to the CHE or the basking bulb?
The thermostat connects to the CHE to maintain the ambient temp above 80 day and night. The basking bulb is connected to a timer to come on in the morning and turn off 12-13 hours later.

Courtney760

Marana, AZ
The thermostat connects to the CHE to maintain the ambient temp above 80 day and night. The basking bulb is connected to a timer to come on in the morning and turn off 12-13 hours later.
Perfect. Thank you for your help.

Obbie

Minnesota
Just so you know, I started with a hatchling Sulcata. I moved her to a bigger habitat at a year. It has to be how warm they have to be kept at, and it’s hard. She got very lethargic - then she was cold, I turned her heat up, but within a week she passed. I was so distraught, I could not figure how she wrapped me around around her little foot !
Someone that I know got in touch with me, her family is in North Dakota. They needed to re-home a 40 lb Sulcatta and wanted to know if I would.... l was so happy and am still

nicoleann2214

NY
No part of the enclosure should drop below 80 degrees day or night. If the tortoise is already showing signs of sickness, then you need to warm the whole enclosure up to 85-90 24/7, and keep it that way for weeks. With a closed chamber this is an easy thermostat adjustment. With an open top, it is difficult.

This tortoise cannot go even one more night with low temps. That might put it too far over the edge to make it back. If need be, move the enclosure into a bathroom and run a space heater to keep the whole room 85 ish.

You don't need a night bulb. You need a CHE or and RHP, and you need a closed chamber too.

Hi Tom just an update, I took the tortoise to the vet and she is currently on medicine. She is doing much much better, I’m soaking her daily in warm water to keep her hydration up, and have noticed her nostrils are much clearer with no discharge, bubbles. Although I have her in a table what would you suggest I do as for trying to keep the humidity up until I am able to construct a closed chamber? I have a repti fogger would that help? I’m also going to mix coconut choir and cypress mulch and moisten it to try to keep humidity in there, and possibly add foil over the top to attempt to hold it in. What do you suggest I use for a closed chamber?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom just an update, I took the tortoise to the vet and she is currently on medicine. She is doing much much better, I’m soaking her daily in warm water to keep her hydration up, and have noticed her nostrils are much clearer with no discharge, bubbles. Although I have her in a table what would you suggest I do as for trying to keep the humidity up until I am able to construct a closed chamber? I have a repti fogger would that help? I’m also going to mix coconut choir and cypress mulch and moisten it to try to keep humidity in there, and possibly add foil over the top to attempt to hold it in. What do you suggest I use for a closed chamber?
@Markw84 makes fantastic closed chamber, but I don't know if he can ship to NY.

If not, Animal Plastics makes excellent enclosures, and they do ship anywhere, but the wait time is months.

Reptile Basics makes a small one that will last you a few months at least, and they can ship it to you pretty quick.

nicoleann2214

NY
@Markw84 makes fantastic closed chamber, but I don't know if he can ship to NY.

If not, Animal Plastics makes excellent enclosures, and they do ship anywhere, but the wait time is months.

Reptile Basics makes a small one that will last you a few months at least, and they can ship it to you pretty quick.
Will a repti fogger work in the mean time? And spraying.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will a repti fogger work in the mean time? And spraying.
I don't like to use foggers. I'd especially recommend against it for a tortoise already fighting a respiratory infection. Spraying doesn't do much. Make sure this tortoise is stay extra warm day and night. Don't let the coldest part of the enclosure drop below 85, even at night when the lights are all off.

Covering the top with some foil will help hold in some heat and humidity.

nicoleann2214

NY
I don't like to use foggers. I'd especially recommend against it for a tortoise already fighting a respiratory infection. Spraying doesn't do much. Make sure this tortoise is stay extra warm day and night. Don't let the coldest part of the enclosure drop below 85, even at night when the lights are all off.

Covering the top with some foil will help hold in some heat and humidity.
Okay I will try that until I can find a good closed chamber that will work. If I soak the mulch and coco choir and then mix it around to get more humidity would that benefit her? I looked on the websites, I’m trying to search up a chamber.

nicoleann2214

NY
Okay I will try that until I can find a good closed chamber that will work. If I soak the mulch and coco choir and then mix it around to get more humidity would that benefit her? I looked on the websites, I’m trying to search up a chamber.
Or if I could possibly construct my own? What would be a proficient structure.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I do ship and am fairly current with my orders, I can have one ready to ship in 7-10 days on orders now.

PM me for more info. Since we cannot attach anything to PMs, you can also email me and I can send more info that way. [email protected]

Mark