Advice on wood type to use on closed chamber

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Hello TFO, it's that time for me to build a enclosure again. Thank fully from previous experiences I know a little more of what and what NOT to do lol
Im making a Tortoise "cabinet" you could say. Four enclosures that are 5 feet long, 20" wide, and 16" tall. With plexiglass doors on front. Im building them one on top of another, you know where the top plywood for one enclosure is the bottom of one above. Anyways, I am worried about what kind of wood to get. The plywood I have chosen is a good quality 1/4 inch thick and is approved for high humidity. For the frame to support the plywood I am using 2x2
My questions is should I get the treated wood for the 2x2 or the cheaper ones because I am going to paint over the inside and outside
I will be painting over everything with a outdoor white paint.
Also do I need to caulk the seams inside around frame???
And if so can someone please recommend a brand and type of caulk to get? It needs to be paintable
I just don't want any mold growing in my setup

kirby2591

5 Year Member
If you are painting the wood I don't think you need to buy treated. The paint seals it for you. And I believe most caulks arnt paintable but if you are painting white you can use a white or clear caulk and then no need to paint. I personally use an all silcone formula for my torts enclosure.

Mark C

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Some interesting points on here. I've found this online for a tortoise enclosure the builder says he doesn't treat or stain the wood but doesn't know if it's been pretreated or not. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23409342...aceNCQIQUa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
We're going to line it with a plastic liner as advised if we buy it for our marginated tortoise. Any thoughts? Not sure of a good non toxic sealant in the UK?

Mark C

UK
I've also read that the type of plywood is crucial. Eg one forum suggest that 'opt instead for Oak, Maple or Birch hardwood plywood board for your reptile Vivarium' as other plywood can be dangerous although they only mentioned especially bearded dragon can be at risk but didn't mention tortoises. Any thoughts?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My tort tables are all made of 3/4 inch plywood except one.I staple a shower curtain liner to the bottom and up the sides some. They are about 15 years old, holding box turtles. I have one in my tort shed made from 1/4 inch plywood, about 13 years old and the bottom has rotted out almost 1/2. It held various tortoises and NO box turtles, yet it rotted??? hmmm100_0788.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't understand the caulk? why? I have 3 in my reptile rooms in my house and none are caulked. Why? Does our tort need high humidity?

Mark C

UK
IMG-20221219-WA0000.jpgtheres a guy who makes tortoise enclosures who has sent me this image of what he uses. Do you think this wood is okay to build an indoor enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 352644theres a guy who makes tortoise enclosures who has sent me this image of what he uses. Do you think this wood is okay to build an indoor enclosure?
Wood should not be used at all. It won't hold up to the dampness, and it will rot. There is no practical way to coat the wood and protect it either. Use expanded PVC sheets instead. It works the same as plywood, but no rot ever.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Wood should not be used at all. It won't hold up to the dampness, and it will rot. There is no practical way to coat the wood and protect it either. Use expanded PVC sheets instead. It works the same as plywood, but no rot ever.
I’ve been looking for the right pvc sheets I have been using hdpe sheets but it’s not cheap I wanted to see if the pvc is more affordable do you have a link

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve been looking for the right pvc sheets I have been using hdpe sheets but it’s not cheap I wanted to see if the pvc is more affordable do you have a link
I don't, but I bet @Markw84 will have a source.

When I've looked for it, I have found it at places that make signs.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It is not cheap. The price I pay has gone up about 60% the past 2 years. I do have a wholesale account with a company up here that is a sign supply shop. They are only N California, though. During the worst of the supply shortages, I also ordered from Interstate Plastics - who is also in Sacramento. Probably several suppliers in your area. However, with just a one or two enclosure order, it would be full retail, I'm sure.

Reactions: Tom

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
It is not cheap. The price I pay has gone up about 60% the past 2 years. I do have a wholesale account with a company up here that is a sign supply shop. They are only N California, though. During the worst of the supply shortages, I also ordered from Interstate Plastics - who is also in Sacramento. Probably several suppliers in your area. However, with just a one or two enclosure order, it would be full retail, I'm sure.
Ya i can get a 4x2 enclosure out of 1 sheet of hdpe and my local supplier has them for 150 a sheet including the price of cuts I’ve look to see if there are really any difference I think the only difference is the hdpe is a little heavier